Stanley

The first hole is the hardest, I hope. I was the last to finish digging and, therefore, the last to make it to dinner. When I made it to the mess hall, the D-Tent were gathered around the same table, their heads low in a huddle. Zig-Zag waved me down as I approached the table. He directed me to sit in between him and Ty. I hoped I would, at least, get a chance to take a shower before I saw her again. Wishful thinking. I sat down carefully with my tray.

"Man, you gotta be the slowest digger I've ever seen," said X-Ray with a smug look on his face.

"Give him a break, X. It's his first day," said Ty. She was kinder today.

"First hole is the hardest, right?" I coughed up the dust that had been sitting in my lungs from the day's work.

"No, the second hole is much worse. You're already sore from the day before. The first hole is child play. Every kid dreams of digging a great big hole to China, right?" He looked around the table at the other D-Tent members for reassurance.

"Not me," I said.

"What are you in for anyway?" Squid was sitting on the other side of Ty.

"Stealing a pair of shoes," I said.

Squid let out a laugh. "From the store? Or did you lift them off someone's feet?"

"No, he killed the guy first. You left that part out didn't you?" Zig-Zig nudged me.

"They were Clive Livingstone's shoes," I said in a low tone. The fact that I am in a juvenile detention center for stealing my baseball hero's shoes was still embarrassing. Everyone dropped their forks and directed their attention at me at one.

"Sweet Feet?" Armpit leaned in.

"Man, you did not steal no Clive Livingston's shoes," said X-ray with doubt.

"How did you get them? He's like the fastest guy in the majors," said Magnet.

"He donated them to an orphanage and I found them, I guess..."

"Did they have red x's on them?" Zero blurted out. I could feel Ty kick him from under the table. Her deep brown eyes were wide and expression stern. Zero looked down at his plate as if he'd made a big mistake. She didn't take her eyes off of him.

"You got Zero to talk!" said Squid

"Yo, what else can you do Zero?" said Armpit. Instead of engaging, Zero continued to eat the slop off of his plate.

"Yeah," I said, "Yeah they did." This kid must be a major Sweet Feet fan to know that much. Ty took a deep breath and collected everyone's trash from the table before swinging her feet around the bench.

"I gotta get a head start on some things for The Warden. X, don't forget that thing." She was gone before anyone could respond. X held two fingers to his forehead in a lazy salute.

I got to the showers right after dinner. It was dark by then and all of the campers were already in their respective tents. I took my 1 and a half minute shower and gathered my things when I ran into Mr. Sir. His gun was drawn.

"Don't move," He said. My heart stopped. My first day and I'm already a dead man. I held my hands up in surrender, ready to say my final prayers. He pulled the trigger and a bullet ricochet off one of the shower benches, barely missing a yellow spotted lizard. I dropped my things and ran full speed towards Mr. Sir as the lizard chased me. BANG! Another shot went off, knocking off its head..

"Get your stuff and go back to you tent," he said carefully, his paranoid eyes still surveying the area.

"What color was its blood?" Zig Zag was in my face before I could enter the tent.

"I don't know. I didn't see it."

"Man, I wish I could have seen it. BANG!" I jumped and the other boys laughed. "Did you know each one has exactly eleven spots?" He was jumpy.

"Who cares, you got the body right?" said Squid

"The body?" I repeated, "Why would I-"

"Bible study. Ty needs it." I was confused. Why would Ty need a dead lizard for biblestudy? "Forget it. I'll go. Quick, give me something to put it in." I quickly handed him my backpack from under my cot. He peaked his head out of the tent and surveyed for counselors before sneaking out.