I Visit My Dad*

- I said, no one alive gets on my boat! - Charon said for the thousandth time - A couple of years ago, I let three people and lord Hades didn't pay me that month!

- Ughh just let me pass! - I replied annoyed.

- I said no! If it's so important die and then come back!

Suddenly, I had an idea. I don't know how I hadn't thought about it before, because it was pretty obvious what to do.

- And if just to say, I told you who my father is? He won't be exactly happy if you don't let me pass, - I said in a sickly sweet voice. He didn't believe me though.

- Ha! You are unclaimed, demigod. All these years have at least told me this.

- Oh, but not being claimed doesn't make me oblivious, Charon. You know he's a pretty important god... - I had to make it sound as believable as possible because it was a one chance thing. I could tell he was starting to be a little bit nervous, but he tried to hide it.

- He is? You know I'm in Hades' service, so if he does something to me, he will have to face Hades' wrath! - he boasted.

- Oh but what if he... To put an example decided not to pay you? - I asked, trying to get an opportunity to get to my point.

- Ha! The only one who could do this is Hades, and he made an oath not to have children. - he said once he got over the fear of not being paid.

- Well, he didn't break it, but here am I, Bianca Di Angelo, daughter of Hades! - I said, unable to wait any longer. His reaction was pretty much expected, though.

- Okay, kid, I admit you had me there for a moment. Now please leave - he said in a monotone voice.

Please, dad, I need your help, I need to talk to you, I prayed silently. Only a few seconds later, a faint light illuminated the room, and all the spirits, including Charon, stared at me in awe. No, not at me, I noticed. They were looking right above me, where a helmet made of black light (don't ask me how that's possible) had appeared. "The helmet of darkness," I heard someone mutter. They all bowed to me. I just stood there awkwardly for a few seconds before noticing they didn't plan to stand up.

- Uh... You can rise, I guess? - I asked unsure of what to do.

- You wanted to go to your father's realm, my lady? - I nodded - Come with me, then.

I followed him as if in a trance. He led me to an elevator, and at some point, I don't know when, it turned to a boat, and we were crossing the river Styx.

- These are the fields of Asphodel, your father's palace is over there, my lady.

I nodded and went through the fields. It was weird, being surrounded by dead people. They just whispered, usually nothing understandable, and when you did understand something, it was so out of context that you didn't know what were they saying. As I walked, everyone stared at me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw three long lines, and a giant three-headed dog controlling them. Cerberus. So that meant Charon hadn't sent me through the usual way. I was grateful for that, as I didn't really feel like having to sneak around Cerberus.

Finally, I reached Hades' palace. The garden was nice, but it had those creepy stone statues of terrified people, that were probably Medusa's work. The pomegranates smelled so good, I was about to get one, but then I remembered Persephone's myth, where she had eaten one third of a pomegranate and that was why she had to stay in the underworld for a part of the year.

- You know, my children can actually eat those and leave.

I froze.

- Father.

655 words