Bot Messages

Hey all. I know I haven't gotten on here in a while, however I wanted to quickly talk about something that just happened to me.

I got a message notification from a user I had never seen in the comments of any of the various books I have read from various fandoms.

This is the message.

Cc: Hiiiya! Sorry for bothering you

Cc: Hiiiya! Sorry for bothering you. I'm an editor, me and my writer friend are working on an amazing story. 92.9% of readers voted it as #1 Paranormal Story. We still hope to learn the most picky readers'. I can see that you have fantastic taste in books. So, well, I'm now super excited but anxious to know what you think about it. May I send you some sample chaps?

I didn't respond to the message and still haven't. Something about the message didn't feel right, so I went and checked their profile. As they stated, the story had been voted 92.9% best Paranormal Story, however, when I went to their profile, they only had 4 followers, but were following over 400 people. Not to mention that this '#1 Paranormal Story' was not on their profile.

After this discovery, I took to google to search up Wattpad scams, and low and behold, I found a reddit post talking about it.

This reddit post went into detail about not just this poaching message, but others as well, so they will also be briefly mentioned.

Here are a few highlights:
(Screenshots will be included so I don't include a link.)

"These poaching messages are not allowed on Wattpad. They are again it's the Terms of Service. If you receive a message from other websites like Dreame, R-Novel, Webnovel, and Ficfun, ignore them and report them. The chances of them having actually read your novel is slim-despite what they claim."

Then it goes on into how these websites are offering contracts that are vague and offer unfavourable terms and goes into a deep analysis of a Dreame contract that was super sketchy.

Finally, we get to specifically the "#1 Paranormal Story" message. It talks briefly about how if you agree to the message, they will send you a link. Some people say that it is a malicious linked message (malware and viruses) and some people say that it is harmless.