Chapter 1

Rule #1: Don't get attached.

I blinked against the bright sun streaming in through the unfamiliar blinds and slowly took in my surroundings. I saw my dress from last night just under the window, my bra by the foot of the hotel bed and lying next to me a tuft of messy blond hair. Letting out a quiet yawn, I slipped out of the duvet and began to assemble and pull on my clothes from the night before.

As I finished zipping up my dress, I heard him stir a bit with a low, muffled groan.

"Ari?" He mumbled, still mostly asleep. I smiled down at him, running a gentle finger over his gorgeous features. Definitely one of my better hookups.

"Shh," I cooed soothingly. "Go back to sleep, babe."

As his breathing became rhythmic I grabbed my phone and clutch from the nightstand and slipped out the door, pulling on my sunglasses against the harsh fluorescent lights of the hallway. I could handle my alcohol but whether I had one drink or 10, I always awoke with at least the slightest of headaches.

As I stepped out of the lobby I saw a black sedan waiting and smiled. My assistant, who is an absolute lifesaver, always finds where I'm staying the night with Find my iPhone and makes sure a car is waiting when I leave. I'm not entirely sure how or why she puts up with me, but I don't know what I'd do without her.

A kind gentleman shuffled out of the driver's side as I approached, opening the door for me.

"Miss Vega," he greeted me and I smiled and lowered my head in greeting as I slipped inside, dialing Gigi.

"Good. You're awake. I was afraid I would have to call you," she began. "You have a fitting in an hour and Nadia is expecting you beforehand. Everything you need should be in the bag next to you. I'll have your coffee ready when you arrive at the office."

I peered in the bag and found water, aspirin, a fresh outfit and a makeup bag, among other things. Like I said, my assistant was a godsend.

"Gigi, have I told you how much I love you?" I smiled despite the fact that she couldn't see me. I heard a light giggle on the other end of the line.

"Yeah, yeah. I'll see you soon." I could hear the smile in her voice before she hung up.

Time to get ready. Good thing I was used to this.

By the time the car pulled up to my agency and I walked through the large glass doors, I had on new clothes and fresh makeup, which was good since I heard the distinct sound of a camera shutter on my walk in.

Gigi hurried over to me with the promised coffee as we entered the elevator and were whisked off towards my manager's office.

"Did you have fun last night?" She asked with a slight smirk which I couldn't help but mirror.

"More than you know," I winked as the elevator dinged and the doors opened to Nadia's office. When I entered she looked me up and down.

"Good, you're on time and you don't look like you didn't go home last night," she greeted me.

"Good morning to you, too, Nadia." I chuckled, sipping my coffee. Nadia was a tough manager, but amazing at her job and probably the closest thing to a mother figure I had.

"You've got a full day today, my dear," she began before running down my schedule for the week. I nodded along as Gigi took notes. As she finished, she checked her watch. "Your first fitting is for the Cosmopolitan cover shoot next week. It's in room 421 and starts in five minutes. Scoot."

I returned her smile, waving goodbye, and followed Gigi down to the fourth floor.

The fitting was pretty standard and before I knew it I was on to the next thing.

As I picked up my things, I instinctively checked the time on my phone. The fitting had gone more quickly than expected. Then my eyes trailed down to see a DM from who I quickly identified as the handsome man I woke up next to, asking to meet up again. I sighed and slid my phone back in my clutch, ignoring the message along with the other hundreds of unread DMs sitting on my Instagram.

They say it takes 21 days to make a habit, and that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Three weeks was my maximum with any one guy.

Did I repeat? Occasionally.

Would I get close enough to any of them to get hurt? Never.