Chapter 5 - Suck It Up

I turned to look at Rex, who was staring wide eye at Carina.

"Did you know?" I ask him and he blinks.

"I didn't know. Don't you think I would tell you?"

I felt like bile was rising in my throat as I returned my gaze to Trevor.

He was no longer looking at me, nor was he in his seat. My eyes move on their own, searching frantically for the tall man.

We find him near the stage, looking up at Carina.

My stomach clenches as he smile encouragingly at her.

He looked great.

His suit tailored perfectly to his form, his hair nicely trimmed, his face clean. He didn't look troubled at all.

I then lift my eyes to the woman on the stage.

I wanted to hear what she was saying, but it was like all my other senses were blocked out, all I could do was see.

She was pretty.

She had long dark brown hair that was curled at the ends and hazel eyes. She was petite, and wore a fitted dress that only lightly grazed the floor.

She seemed confident as she stood boldly, he shoulders firm, her head tilted high. I noticed her effortless hand gestures, and the way she laughed whenever someone in the crowd said something. They all seemed to be enjoying her speech.

"Let's go." Rex says and I gulp.

"W-what?"

"We should leave."

"But I thought you sa-"

"Screw what I said." Rex stands and outstretches his hand. I take them quickly and he helps me up. We hastily make our way to the exit.

"Ocean." His voice made me come to a halt, although Rex tugged at it. The crowd erupts in applause and we turn to face Trevor.

I suck in a sharp breath as he looks even better up close. He had a small smile on his face, his soft brown eyes gently staring at me. I squeeze Rex's hand.

It seemed like we both didn't know what to say, as we just. .   Gazed.

Rex clears his throat, and I noticed Carina approaching us, a confused smile on her face.

"Trevor?" It was her. The small, sweet, girly voice on the phone.

He merely turns towards her, before placing his hand on her lower back, and pulling her into his side. She smiles widely, staring up at him. I avert my eyes to the floor.

"This is Ocean," Trevor introduces us, and lifting my head, I watch as her eyes widen.

"You're Ocean, my gosh, you're beautiful."

My eyes widen.

"Trevor has told me so much about you. . . I'm Carina."

"Nice to meet you," I smile back and she nods.

"You as well."

She never stopped smiling. It wasnt necessarily creepy, it was just weird. I wonder what Trevor had told her about me. . . About us.

"Ocean, this is my fiancee." Rex hands tighten around mine and I suddenly feel dizzy.

"F-fiancee?"

"Yea, we're getting married in December." Trevor says, looking down at her and she looks up at him, smiling.

"That's great, I'm happy for you." I force to say, but right now all I wanted to do was burst into tears.