PAPER EXCERPT

PAPER EXERPT

Laney Emerson

SOC 91

Professor Berkley

How do nightclubs affect sexuality and sexual relations in college?

     Heteronormativity is the idea that you are assumed to be "straight," or heterosexual, until proven otherwise, which gives heterosexuality privilege in society above other forms of sexuality. In other words, other sexualities are not only deemed inferior against heterosexuality, but often expected to follow standards of heterosexuality. Thus, dating expectations often not only depend upon time and place, but also gender and sexuality, specifically, heterosexual standards. Thus, hookup culture, the idea, practice, and organizational structure that facilitates expectations of casual sexual encounters in college, is also often linked to heterosexual standards, in which heterosexuality and heterosexual expectations often coincide with expectations of hooking up as opposed to other avenues of relations. Therefore, after conducting an ethnographic study at one nightclub on three nights, Thursday through Saturday, from 8pm to 12pm, and sometimes 2pm, symbolic interactions on the dancefloor, at the bar, and when preparing to leave are all often based on heterosexual expectations of hooking up, which perpetuate heteronormativity as well as hookup culture.