Transfer

Warning: the following chapter and story have mentions of PTSD, suicide, anxiety, self-harm, and depression. They also touch on important topics like harassment, abuse, and neglect. The purpose of this story is to inform the readers about these subjects not romanticize them. Please keep this in mind. If you are not comfortable with such themes and subjects please don't read the story.

A/N:
I have made these characters as realistically as possible, which means that they make mistakes which also means that you are bound to dislike them and their actions sometimes. But we are all human which means that no one is perfect. So please always be respectful and patient.

Thanks for reading!

You stretched your sore limbs, exhausted. The training for today had been brutal, making you physically push your limits.

The drill sergeant had pulled you aside after the last exercise to hand you a pristine white envelope with an emblem of a star with wings on its center.

You had been aching to tear it open and read its mysterious contents but forced yourself until you got home to do so.

You were in the midst of your training quarter at the Air Force base very near to your childhood home in Busan. With your father and mother both being highly decorated fighter pilots, it was only natural for you as their only child to enter the branch as well.

After applying a hot compress on your legs, you snatched the envelope off of your desk and tore  it open.

Second Lieutenant Song,

There has been an order from the general's office to transfer you to the central Air Force base located in Seoul.

You have been promoted to First Lieutenant effective immediately. Please collect your belongings and report to the central base by 15:00 tomorrow, May 18.

Master Sergeant Cha

The words sunk in almost immediately, prompting you to stride into the kitchen where your jovial mother prepared dinner and your stern yet sweet father was setting the table.

Before you could open your mouth, your mother's sharp eyes noticed the paper in your hand. She knew what it was and what it meant for you. She simply frowned and looked to her husband who had already been staring at the paper as well.

The unspoken words floated between the three of you as the previously carefree atmosphere turned heavy.

"I have to go," you said.

"We know, sweetheart," your mother nodded and smiled softly. "I just worry because of your-."

"Mom! I can handle myself, I'm an adult and that was a long time ago. I'm better now and there's nothing to worry about."

"Y/N, are you sure?"

You hesitated. The scars on your forearm covered by your shirt although ancient, felt fresh all of a sudden.

"Y-yes," you stuttered. "I'm sure."

You looked at your father who stood in a state of contemplation.

"Dad?"

"I trust you when you say you'll be fine, but I don't trust your ability to cope. I know that you can't avoid the transfer. Calls everyday, understood?" He asked.

To which you nodded your head like a small kid.

Twenty years in the Air Force had seasoned your dad into a very prim and proper person. But his wife and daughter held a soft spot in his heart and he would do anything to protect them.

"Good," he said with a small smile. "Now go get packed."

You smiled and bounded out of the kitchen still wincing at the soreness in your muscles.

You pulled out two suitcases and a backpack and packed your uniforms, hats, flight shoes, and belts into the smaller one and filled the larger one with civilian clothing as well as toiletries. The backpack was exclusively for your paperwork, books, and electronics.

Quickly showering, you headed back to the dining hall where dinner was ready.

Your mother had made seaweed soup, kimchi fried rice, and bulgogi.

A pang of sadness shot through you as you realized that this would be your last home-cooked dinner for a while. Savoring the different flavors and making sure to compliment the chef, you spent the rest of the evening chatting and spending time with your parents.

You slept that night knowing that no matter how far away you were, you had supportive parents who stood by you through everything and anything.

From far, your life could seem perfect, but that couldn't be further from the truth.