What's Her Name?

in·fat·u·a·tion

/inˌfaCHəˈwāSH(ə)n/noun

            1. an intense but short-lived passion or admiration for someone or something.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jungkook was pissed. No. He was enraged.

How was he supposed to train and mentor a person who turned his knees to jelly? He was her commanding officer for crying out loud! But everytime his mind replayed the image of her stepping out of the SUV, it was like he was a deer caught in headlights, except it was her gaze he was caught in. And he was always more of a bunny than a deer.

Groaning in frustration, he sat up from his haphazard position on the floor of the quarters he shared with his best friend and fellow Colonel, Kim Taehyung, who was currently out on a practice flight. So it meant Jungkook could be miserable in peace. 

Just as he was about to head to the gym for a much needed stress relief workout session, his pager buzzed a code which indicated that he was needed in the east wing of the base. Frowning in confusion, he ran a finger through his dark hair, causing it to ruffle slightly, making him look even younger than what he was. 

His lips formed a pout as he trudged to the opposite end of the glass building and paused before an unmarked black door. He lifted his fist to knock twice and the door swung open soundlessly, revealing two people, who looked absolutely exhausted. 

"Night run?" Jungkook asked sympathetically, as the taller of the two men nodded and yawned. 

"Why'd you page me?"

"We needed someone to play the guitar to help us fall asleep," the shorter one grinned sheepishly.

"Jimin hyung, when are you gonna get a damn pill for your insomnia?" Jungkook rolled his eyes before making his way to the far end of the room and picking up a jet black acoustic guitar from its stand.

"When I feel like it," the shorter man snapped tiredly. "Now play, I have an early morning practice run and I have to be on the runway by 4:00."

"What he said," the taller man said. "I've been having more and more trouble sleeping lately."

"Jin hyung, the least you could do is cut down on the ice cream before bed," Jungkook chuckled. 

Jin gasped dramatically. "Why would I do such an atrocious thing?"

Jimin snickered, before running his hands through his dyed blonde hair, laying down on one of the couches, and closing his eyes. His shoulders visibly relaxed as Jungkook strummed a slow melody, adding in a hum or two every now and then.

Jin took the opposite couch and did the same, not before clutching a large alpaca plushie with a red scarf close to his chest.

Jungkook continued to play the instrument for the next few minutes and glanced at the two colonels he called his brothers, pretty much passed out on the couches. He smiled to himself, knowing how hard Jimin usually found it to sleep due to his dreams from past missions. His PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) had always interfered in his life ever since-- Jungkook cut himself off, shaking the unpleasant memories from his head.

Instead, he just patted each of the boys' heads before heading back to his quarters. 

The walk back was quiet and the moon had risen, illuminating the glass-filled corridor with shadows playing across the floor and wall. 

Jungkook crept into his room, trying not to wake Taehyung. But when he entered, Taehyung sat up awake in his cot, trying to finish a painting he had started almost two weeks earlier. 

He caught his roommate standing in the doorframe out of the corner of his eye and hummed in acknowledgement. His black bangs were neatly parted, showing a sliver of his forehead and his phone was blasting music from the 1950s. 

Jungkook sighed and smiled slightly. Taehyung was so predictable sometimes. 

"Hey, wanna go on a flight tomorrow? I've been wanting to try some loops I read about in the technique guide yesterday," Taehyung asked his roommate, eyes never leaving his meticulous brush strokes.

Jungkook shrugged and nodded, before abruptly slapping his forehead with an exhasperated sigh. "Crap! Sorry, can't. I have my first actual session with the Alpha Team tomorrow."

"Oh! Right, I forgot they were here already. How are they?"

"Run of the mill, I guess."

"Seven men and one woman, right? That's what I read in the weekly report today."

Jungkook nodded, willing his thoughts to stray from dwelling on a certain female officer. "Yeah."

Taehyung raised an eyebrow. He knew Jungkook from when they were in diapers, so to say he knew him well was an understatement. "What?"

"What?" Jungkook feigned innocence, widening his doe-shaped eyes to emphasize his act.

"What's wrong, I mean," Taehyung repeated, seeing through the charade. "You wavered. You never waver."

"Hyung, I don't know what you mean..."

"Oh cut the crap. Just spit it out."

"It's just- She's-"

"HA, Jungkookie has a crushhhh~" Taehyung cooed, an adorable boxy smile forming on his handsome face. 

Jungkook felt his face heat up and just knew he was bright red from the sensation. "I do not have a crush on anyone," he protested indignantly, sticking his nose in the air.

"Fine, fine, an infatuation then," the older of the two ammended. "So, what's her name?"

"Y/N."