Love in War - Chapter 6: Reflect Before You Act

*Quick Note: This chapter is the timeline of the last chapter, but  from Mulan's perspective*

Following Shang's leave the previous night, a quite different set of events were transpiring in the house of Fa. With the revelation that Tàitài Shu would be visiting the next day, they were determined to make a good first impression. Mulan flinched in dread at what was coming...

"Well, you know what that means," Fa Li declared, "we have to clean the house!"

Yep, that was it.

Mulan got stuck with the task of sweeping the house, which she didn't mind much. It was actually quite therapeutic. Back and forth, and back and forth. She lost herself in the motion until she felt a small creature snake its way up her back and perch itself on her neck.

"How you doing?" Mushu asked her.

"Great! I honestly can't wait to meet Shang's mother and finally start the ceremonies!" she said happily before the implications of the matter struck her, "Oh, Mushu! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean..."

In her excitement of the upcoming meeting and the likely events to follow, she'd completely forgotten Mushu's plight. Once her and Shang were officially married, the Li family guardians would take over, and he would lose his position!

"No, it's fine. Don't you worry about me," he reassured her, "I meant are you nervous?"

"Nervous? About what?"

"Meeting Shang's mother!"

"No..." Mulan hadn't even considered any reaction other than joy, "should I be?"

"I mean, I'm not trying to say nothing, but let's just remember Pretty Boy's from high society! And he did say his mom was very traditional and strict-like."

Mulan stopped sweeping, "You're right... Do you think there'll be a problem?"

"I can't say for sure, but I don't think it would be a bad idea to take some precautions," he suggested before scurrying away.

Mulan resumed her chores, her head now swirling with thoughts as Mushu's warning resonated in her mind. What possible problems could come up? What should she do to be safe? What if Shang's mother just didn't like her!

After sweeping, she wet a cloth to wipe the dust off of all the hard surfaces, while getting into an internal battle with herself. Why wouldn't she like you? Well just look at you! Your hair is short! How disrespectful to your family to chop it off like that! And like the matchmaker said, you're too skinny! You must not be healthy! Feel those hands of yours! They're coarse from long months of military training! Not soft like a girl's hands should be!

As thoughts stormed inside her, Mulan lost track of time, as everything felt suspended within her inner turmoil. She'd somehow found herself mindlessly wiping the wooden trim of the walls when she felt a hand on her shoulder.