Love in War - Chapter 19: New Faces of Old

Midnight was approaching and nearly all the guests had left. Even Shang's mother, it seemed, had started home without them. Ling returned to the table with his back hunched forward and tears still slowly making their way down his face. He caught the attention of Mulan first, who immediately rose and walked up to give him a hug; Shang and Chien Po joined in soon after.

"It's going to be alright. I promise," Mulan assured him, stroking the boy's back.

"We're all here for you too... if you ever need to talk," Chien Po added.

"Thanks, you guys," Ling returned as he pulled away and wiped one of his eyes dry with a sniffle.

As the group began to separate themselves, they became aware of approaching footsteps and the ground illuminating behind them. They turned to find Fa Zhou and Li walking towards them with a lantern.

"You're still here? I thought everyone had left some time ago," Mulan's mother remarked.

"Without saying goodbye!? Never!" Shang replied with a smile.

"Well you children are welcome to come inside out of the cold if you wish," Fa Zhou was sure to offer.

"I actually think I was gonna head home. Thank you though," Ling declared, giving the Fas a grateful smile. Chien Po nodded in agreement.

"Shang and I should probably be heading home too, it's getting late," Mulan added.

Her parents' expressions turned somber, but they nodded their heads in agreement.

"We understand," Fa Li said sadly.

"But first..." Mulan began before tiptoeing up to whisper something into her dad's ear.

Shang watched and smiled as Fa Zhou's expression turned to curiosity and surprise.

"Well ... I don't mind..." Fa Zhou started before turning to Shang, "...but his mother?"

"She'll be fine," Shang chuckled.

"Then by all means, go ahead," Fa Zhou replied with a smile.

Mulan let out a light squeal of delight before racing inside the house.

Fa Li stared at her in confusion before turning to Zhou and Shang, "What just happened?"

"Apparently the couple has decided they're taking the dog," Fa Zhou explained.

"...oh."

Mulan returned moments later with Little Brother in hand.

"Sorry, Mom," she giggled as the dog squirmed in her grip.