Love in War - Chapter 20: A New Normal

Mushu and ShiShi spent the next few days strolling the grounds and getting to know one another and their respective families better.

From Mushu, ShiShi learned that while not of particularly high class, the Fas were a very well respected local family. They didn't have a specific trade, but while some explored business endeavors such as acupuncture, most made their livings as farmers. The home was elevated by Mulan's father, the brave veteran, Fa Zhou, who fought heroically under General Li's battalion before being crippled in battle. The home was then raised into an even more glorious rank after Mulan's heroism saved China from the grave threat of the Hun army. Mushu himself was one of many Fa guardians, but (by his own account) he was the most decorated in the house, and he had single-handedly guided Mulan to victory.

From Shishi, Mushu learned that the Lis ancestry followed that of many brave captains and generals; some even considered the family the protectors of China. For as many generations as could be recalled the Lis have been present, preparing soldiers for the rage of war and leading troops into battle.; it was the family's calling. As such, the Lis were of incredibly high social status and well respected throughout society. Shishi considered himself the best guardian in existence, so he found his role protecting the Lis to be perfectly fitting as they were the best family. He had helped to guide and protect twenty generations of them, but had been closest to Shang's father, General Li. The mere number of names to ShiShi's credit intimidated Mushu greatly.

"So you've guided Fa Mulan. Who else?" the lion curiously inquired.

The dragon thought back. It had been 500 years since he'd even been allowed to guard the members of his house and at the time of his initial departure, he by no means had left on good terms. Oh, poor Deng...

"Oh no one important," Mushu shrugged off, "definitely no one who could top my girl anyway."

ShiShi could tell his answer was incomplete but chose not to further press the question; at least not now . The two decided to continue into the house and see how matters were progressing for the young couple and Shu. The tension between them had been no secret since Mulan and Shang's marriage; specifically, Shu's blatant disapproval of pretty much everything Mulan did.

It was early morning and the house was overall at peace. Shu entered the family dining room to find her son sitting at the table intently studying some military charts and paperwork. She turned away from him and found Mulan fastening a belt onto a faded green shirt while dawning a worn down pair of pants.

"Now where do you think you're going?" she asked with a scornful look on her face.

"You'd rather me stay here with you? Because I can..." Mulan snarkily replied. Shang's mother still intimidated her, make no mistake, but one can only take so much ridicule before allowing themselves to snap back.

Her remark earned a low grumble from Shu as she prepared herself to walk away.

"If you really must know, I am going to my parents' house. I have chores to do," Mulan explained.