Chapter 16

**As promised, a second chapter today!

If you enjoy, dont forget to comment/vote to let me know!**

Only Natural

The alpha held to our deal.

I wasn't sure why that surprised me, but I was grateful nonetheless.

I had eaten my dinner alone in my room, though the food was so extravagant, I had a feeling it had come from the feast downstairs. I had only just set my fork down on the plate, when the panel in the wall across the room swung open with a soft swoosh.

I had nearly leapt from my skin the first time I had seen Eden emerge from the servants corridor. 'Sorry,' she had mumbled sheepishly, 'the alpha has no servant entrances into his bedroom. I didn't consider what a shock that could be to you for me to use one without warning.'

Shock had seemed a bit of an understatement to my racing heart.

But after weeks of seeing her come and go in such a way, the concept had lost its novelty. She bustled in and ushered me to the vanity to prepare for the ball.

"You're not going to let me turn those down, are you?" I sighed as she held up sparkling diamond earrings. She had just finished curling my hair and pinning the top half away from my face.

She grinned, "And there's a matching necklace, as well."

I groaned, but let her clasp the glittering necklace around my neck, then climbed obediently into the pale blue dress she held out for me.

"Aren't you going to look in the mirror?" She asked after I thanked her and walked to the door.

I didn't hesitate, "No." My hands ran over the delicate material of the dress. I had no interest in looking at myself in all of the finery befitting a queen. I had never wanted to be a queen, and likely wouldn't like what I saw.

Or, perhaps I would like it too much.

Matteo's stoic replacement was waiting outside my door to lead me to the ball, taking me only as far as the entrance before walking away without a word.

It was the same door I had entered through on the night of the last ball. I used my memory from that night to find my way through the crowd of bodies, careful to keep my head down and not brush against anyone.

None were human.

At least, as far as I could tell.

When the trumpets blared, all eyes went to the landing atop the staircase where the same large, ruddy faced man from the first ball stood. He announced the royal family, but I had already lost interest, scanning my eyes around the room while the 'shifters', as the prince had called them, were distracted.

I glanced to the top of the staircase only once, just long enough to find the prince at the top, dressed handsomely in his suit, eyes searching the crowd. I had a feeling I knew who he was looking for.

The moment the mass of people began to move again, I resumed my journey through them. I found the sweets table near the wall to the left of the stairs.

I hid there for some time, trying to remember Signora Flori's lessons on posture while nibbling on a tiny fruit tart. I thought that I was doing a good job of avoiding attention until an unfamiliar voice met my ears, "How quaint."

I stiffened, but did not turn, pretending I hadn't heard her, though I could do nothing to hide the tremors of fear that wracked my body or the way my heart had picked up speed.