Chapter 29

**If you enjoy, don't forget to leave a comment or vote to let me know!**

A Debt

I held my breath as Evelina's cold gaze took in each member of my family in turn. I could only imagine what she was seeing.

She had loathed me when I had first arrived here, uncouth and lacking all of the refined delicacy she had learned in her palace upbringing. Now, I've brought in others like I had been. My mother and sisters were even wearing pants, as I had preferred myself before coming to stay at the castle. I waited for the sneer to twist her beautiful features, expecting the barbed comments to start flying.

I waited, but they never came.

The air left me all at once when her lips parted in that dazzling smile of hers instead. "You must be Rose's family," her voice carried across the cavernous room, "welcome to our home."

I cleared my throat awkwardly to distract my family from the fact that I had been included in the 'our'. They most certainly would not appreciate the gesture, despite the warmth that it had filled me with. Of all the people in the castle that I had met– for I was certain that there were quite a few that my mate had been keeping me apart from– her approval had been the hardest won, and I still wasn't sure that I believed it was genuine. Those who were raised in the castle were too adept at disguising their true emotions. "May I introduce you to Princess Evelina," I said to them, trying my best not to stumble over my words under Evelinas sharp gaze and drawing on my lessons with Signora Flori for guidance. I felt Reed's gaze on the side of my face, studying me as if he had noticed the subtle change in my demeanor at the princess's presence. My straightened back and lifted chin had become almost second nature, as had the small smile that didn't quite reach my eyes. I continued on despite the added scrutiny, "Evelina, this is my mother, my brother, Reed, and my sisters, Lily and Daisy."

She remained smiling, "It's a pleasure to meet you all. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that you would be arriving so soon, so I won't be able to show you to your rooms. I haven't the slightest idea as to who my brother assigned that duty, but I–"

Matteo slipped from the shadowed hallway to the right, and cut her off, "That would be me."

She shot him a disdainful look, "I might have guessed as much. You're late, beta."

He grinned despite the glare in her eyes, "I figured Rose and her family would appreciate a few minutes alone. Regardless," he shrugged, "I'm here now."

She looked as though she wanted to say something more, but he gave her a sharp look. "Gian wanted to speak with you before dinner," he nodded over his shoulder in the direction of the hallway he had just emerged from.

She dismissed herself, smile never wavering though it was obvious she was more than a little apprehensive. I watched her go, hating that I was envious of one more thing about her. I wanted to see Gianluca before dinner as well.

I had wanted to see him all morning, the intensity of the desire more than a little bit worrying. Matteo broke me from the thoughts before I could dwell for too long, "Alright then, right this way."

~*~

My family were given rooms in the guest wing of the castle, quite a distance from where I stayed, but close enough to the infirmary. I hovered, unhelpful, as they settled in with the few belongings brought up by a servant from the transport.

I didn't have the heart to tell them that they wouldn't be wearing their own clothes during their stay here. By the looks of things, they were still struggling to process their surroundings as it was. Is that what I had looked like all those months ago, I wondered, all wide-eyed and timid?