Chapter 3

Yonkers, New York
June 6th, 1997

Yonkers, New York June 6th, 1997

  Amethyst Baltimore POV

"So you telling me the nigga you been crushing since we were kids asked you for your number and your response was no. Sometimes I don't wanna claim you," my best friend Bella said while we were cleaning up table. I told her all about last night from James calling me a "project hoe" to me declining Prime.

"Imma get Rashad to beat that rude niggas ass too cause who the fuck he think he calling a hoe?" She said. "I didn't give him my number because of his reputation Bella. He's known for having a lot of women, and I don't wanna be one of them." I told her. "Girl, you acting like he asked for your hand in marriage. You need to learn to loosen up. Giving him your phone number is harmless," she said back.

"I thought giving out your number means you want a relationship?" I questioned confused. "Oh sweetie we have a lot to go over." Bella said. "Giving out your number is not exactly looking for a relationship, sometimes you just be bored and want somebody to talk too," she added. As we finished up with the tables the bell rung notifying us that people walked in.

"I'm just saying nigga how you arguing with some body who don't pay bills in yo house about them leaving. Sound like bitch activity to me," a voice I could pin point anywhere said. "Why Rashad always be so loud," Bella said rolling her eyes. "That's yo man girl," I said laughing. "Mhm well girl yo man here too," she said smirking. I looked up and behind Rashad was Prime, Daze, and some other guy I never seen before. "Let's go clock out for our break," Bella said. We went to go clock out.

         We clocked out and went around to the front where the guys were sitting. "Hey baby," Bella said sitting down next to Rashad. "Wassup wit yo girl," he kissed her. "These my guys Prime, Chill, and you already know Daze," Rashad introduced the guys. I was standing up looking awkward. "Shorty you don't wanna sit down," Daze asked me. The only sit that was available was next to him sitting directly across from Prime. I went and sat down next to him.

     Everybody was in their own conversations except for me and Prime. I felt Prime looking at me, but I wouldn't look up. "So you don't feel me staring at you?" Prime asked. "Oop,"Bella said. "I ain't know you could feel stares. Learn something new everyday," Chill said earning a smack at the back of the head from Rashad.

     "Can I holla at you at another table ma?" Prime asked me. I looked at Bella who was shaking her head. "Umm... sure I guess," I got up from the table following him to a table in the back corner. He sat down and just stared at me. "Did you wanna talk to me or just stare?" I asked him. He leaned back in his seat smirking, "I'm trying to read you before I speak," he said. "Why don't you just ask me what's on your mind?" I said.

"Ok, why didn't you give me your phone number last night?" He asked me. "You have a reputation with women, and I didn't just wanna be another girl checked off on your list," I told him. He shook his head. "The reason I have a bunch of women is because none of them deserve my loyalty. They only with me because I'm Prime. When I find someone that shows me different I will change my ways," he said.