Chapter 5

"Bella I don't know what to wear," I said flopping on my bed

"Bella I don't know what to wear," I said flopping on my bed. "Girl you wasn't doing all this when you went on that date with the lawyer nigga," she said flipping through her source magazine. I snatched the magazine from her hand wanting her undivided attention. "This is different Deon actually is interested in me, so I gotta impress him. It's 6:55 and I still don't know what I'm going to wear," I told her.

     "Amethyst snatch another magazine out my hand Imma lay you out. Ain't no reason you should be stressing y'all going to the Coney. Get a cute crop, tight jeans that fit yo ass nice, and wear body chain," Bella said going through my closet throwing on the bed every item she named.

      I jumped on her hugging her tightly. "This is why I love you I told her. "Yeah I know, now go and get cute," she told me. It took me a total of 30 minutes to get ready including my makeup and hair. It was now 7:25. "Girl where yo mama at she should have been home," Bella asked.

     "She took an extra shift at work," I told her. "Damn I wanted to see her face when Prime or as you call him Deon be standing at her door," Bella said laughing. My mom has a bitterness towards men like Deon. From stories I hear my dad was a big time drug dealer that got my mama pregnant, and once he found out she was pregnant he bailed on her. She always told me growing up to never get a men like my dad. In my spirit I feel like Deon is different. So, it won't kill me to give him a chance.

     "She's never gon find out about this. You know how hard she'll come at me," I told Bella. "So what if you and Deon actually work out? What you gon do then?" Bella asked.

"Only time will tell. What's going on with you and Rashad?"

   "Man b fuck that nigga real talk. I was at his house yesterday and tell me why some bitch called his phone. Lame ass nigga keep playing and wonder why I won't officially be his girl," Bella said rolling her eyes.

       I wish Rashad would do right Bella really care about him, and every time she be ready to give him her all he mess it up. As I was about to say something the buzzer sounded off in my apartment.

       "Oh my gosh he's here. Buzz him in and go open the door," I said to Bella. I ran to the bathroom doing last minute touch ups. I quickly grabbed my purse heading to the living room. "Why you keep fronting on my nigga? Playing with his emotions and shit," I heard Deon say. "Prime don't go there with me, and if you do my girl how yo friend doing me I'll kill you," Bella said.

  I finally made my presence known to make sure their conversation didn't escalate. They heard my movement and both turned around. "Damn girl you look good," Deon said walking up to me spinning me around. "Thank you," I said back to him. Once he was done spinning me I got a good look at him. He was looking nice with his all black on. He smelled good also.

     "You ready to go? He asked me. I shook my head yes. He grabbed my hand leading us out my door. I waved by to Bella. He made it to his car, and he opened the door for me to get in. What a gentlemen I thought to myself. He got in the passenger side of the car cranking it up and we where off. It takes a hour to get to Coney Island from Yonkers, so we have plenty of time to get to know each other.

     "I like your car it's really nice," I told him to start a conversation. "Thanks, maybe I'll get you one if this shit work out. Any specific type of music you wanna listen to? He asked.

   "You got any Sade?"

   "Girl what yo young ass know about some Sade," he said laughing, "But yeah I got you babygirl."

   He pulled out a cassette tape and popped it in. My favorite by Sade Is  it a Crime  projected through the speakers. "What a coincidence you put in my favorite song by her," I told him. "Yeah, this my favorite song to roll up to," he told me.

      "So tell me about you, what's your life story?" He asked me. "It ain't really much to know if I'm being honest. I really like fashion. My dream is to go to design school, but the way life is looking I doubt that's going to happen," I told him.

    "I can see you being a little fashion designer and shit. Never give up on your dreams ma. Shit will happen you just gotta believe and be persistent," he responded. I just nodded my head taking in what he said. I turned to the side looking at his peripheral. He even fine while driving. Lord have mercy on my soul for the thoughts I'm thinking.

   "You do know staring is rude," he said snapping me outta my daze. "Sorry," I quickly said. He lightly laughed. "I was just playing with you."

For the remainder of the ride we just listen to the music in silence. Not long after we arrived to Coney Island. He held my door for me to get out again. "You wanna know something, I've never been to Coney Island before," I told him as we was walking to the entrance.

       "Damn I feel special being the first nigga taking you," he said while grabbing my hand. We finally made it to the ticket booth. "Can I get two unlimited wrist bands," he asked the young girl that was in the ticket booth. "It will be $70," she told us. Deon handed her the money and I'm return she gave us our wrist band.

We walked around looking for a ride to get on. "I just thought of something you never told me your age," I said to him. "You ain't never ask, but I'm 25," he responded.

I seen the first ride I wanted to get on called the Thunderbolt. "Ooo lets get on this ride," I pulled his arm towards the roller coaster. "Oh hell nah that shit look dangerous," he said. "Not big bad Prime scared of a little roller coaster," I teased him. "Ain't nobody scared a nigga just precautious."

"Well you can hold onto me if you get scared," I said laughing pulling him in line for the ride, he just smacked his teeth. Ten minutes later we were done with the ride. "Yo screams were funny. Ain't no reason a man with a voice as deep as yours should be screaming that loud," I told Deon. He screamed the whole time on the ride.

"Man shorty you trying to play me," he said turning to me pouting. "I'm just playing big baby," I said hugging him. For the next 2 hours we just went around the whole park riding and playing whatever. Deon won me 3 teddy bears. We got something to eat from one of the food trucks, finding a bench right in front of the Ferris Wheel giving us a perfect view.

"I don't like you Ms. Amethyst, making a nigga all soft and shit," he told me. "What you mean? You never took a girl on a date before?" I asked him.

"Does my bedroom count?"

"No, it does not," I giggled out. "So, how many women you got out here calling you by your first name," I asked him. "None besides you and my mama," he told me. I just shook my head taking a bite out of my chicken finger.

"You asked me about my life story, but what's yours? I know being a drug dealer wasn't your first option," I said. "To tell my life story would take a lifetime," he responded. "I have no life we got all the time in the world," I said back making him laugh. "Aight I wanted to be an artist. I been drawing since a youngin," he said.

"That's cool, you gon show me your art one day?" I asked him. "Maybe if you act right," he said smirking. "Boy bye," I laughed. We finished up our food going to his car. The ride back to Yonkers was silent but peaceful.

A hour later we pulled up to GreaterView. He got out the car again opening the door for me. He walked me up to my apartment. "I had a good time with you tonight," he told me. "Me too, you were quite the gentlemen. I'm starting to think that macho drug dealer persona is just an act," I said to him. "Nah, it ain't an act you just getting the nice side of me," he said.

"Whatever, have a good night Deon," I said opening my door. "Wait girl you ain't going to give a nigga a hug," he pulled me back. I hugged him wrapping my arms around torso. He put his arms on my lower back. I pulled away after a few seconds. "Goodnight," I told him. "Goodnight babygirl," he said walking down the hallway backwards.

I walked in the house going straight to my room looking out the window to make sure he got into his car safety. I seen him pull off a minute later. I threw my three teddy bears in the corner of my room flopping on my bed. Deon I don't know what you doing, but I think I like it.