Chapter 3 - Ivy - I Hate History

I have been told that I have a problem with authority. Though, it's only authority figures who have ever told me that, soooo... I don't think I actually do. I was practically raised alongside my kingdom's guard, I was trained to follow authority. But only when the authority is worthy enough to be followed. And being a heritor means that everyone around you is an authority, and not everyone is worthy.

And my mom... well she was still up to debate. Half the time we were screaming at each other, argument after argument until our voices gave out. And then half the time, we relied on each other's strength like there was no one else in the world. Cause, a lot of the time it felt like that. It was just us now, our tiny family of two. And as much as that was a good thing, it was also so difficult at times.

"I wish you didn't bring that," the Headmaster scowled at me, three guards flanking her. "I hate that you know how to use such a weapon."

I rolled my eyes and drew my bow. The silver arrow lined up along my steady left arm, elbow turned out. The string brushed my nose. "I don't." I turned my stance so that the arrow was aimed towards her and the soldiers. The big mighty men around her flinched. My mother just sighed and shook her head. I cackled and turned my steady aim back to the hay bail. "I can protect myself with it." The arrow flew from my fingertips, it's shaft warping around the handle before whistling through the evening air and embedding itself up to the fletching in my target. "Besides, Rayna knows how to wield. Lots of princesses do."

It was almost dusk now. We were outside the empty training field at the far south side of the grounds. There was a dirt arena for duels with tented wooden bleachers on either side. A horse track circled it, and a couple of targets were set up neatly by the treeline. This place was used for teaching students fencing, proper dueling, riding, and archery. All for sport and show. Mainly the transfers from Gravesell used it, and the soldiers did drills there occasionally. Sometimes the older girl heritors would watch the professional knights warm up, giggling from the stands. I, instead, challenged the guards to an archery competition when I was in first grade. I won.

My mom stepped towards me and the guards were smart enough to linger back. "Are you upset about what happened today? I can assure you that I've already sent a small brigade to hunt down the monster. And I've messaged the High King so hopefully he'll dispatch some more royal guards to Arce."

"Yeah, cause soldiers made such a big difference," I grumbled as I plucked another arrow from my quiver and aligned a second shot. "There were what? Thirty knights on one hippogriff. And only one of them actually landed a shot." I released. Bullseye.

In my peripheral the three guards fiddled with their light armor sheepishly.

"And that one strike told us that the monster can be killed. Ivy, I understand that you hate feeling so-" she took a breath. "Defenseless."

I set my jaw. "I'm not defenseless." I released a third shot. It flew off course, skimming the edge of the bale.

Didn't adjust for the wind. Rookie mistake, Rookie.

"Of course you're not. I know you're not. It's almost dark, and you have class tomorrow, Missy. You need to wash up and get some sleep."

I blew air out of my nose and dropped my stance. I turned to my mother. Her silver eyes reflected the indigo sky. I wish I got her eyes.

*****

It was tuesday and we were officially having the first day of classes. Yesterday all of the morning classes were cancelled since students were just arriving and needed time to settle in. Then hippogriff happened, and all of the afternoon classes were canceled.