IX

"With a secret like that,
at some point the secret itself
becomes irrelevant.
The fact that you kept it does not."

-Sara Gruen

————————————

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Huh?" Lisa had to steady herself; this was the first conversation she'd have with Jennie after a month.

"You- Lisa... be honest with me." Jennie inhaled sharply. "Do you like boys? Or...?"

Lisa chuckled. "I'm assuming you found out."

She was laughing. Lisa found this funny. Jennie gritted her teeth, fists clenching. "I had to find out through my parents. Of all people. I can't believe this. I thought we were closer than that."

"Key-word: were." The blonde sighed. "Didn't you say that you wanted nothing to do with me?"

Jennie faltered. "B-but before that! How come you never told me that you were a... you know."

"I don't know. Jennie, enlighten me. What am I?"

"You know what I'm saying." The brunette huffed. Lisa didn't budge, and Jennie felt her temper rising. "A lesbian! Okay? I said it. Lisa, why didn't you tell me that you were a le-"

Lisa held her hand up, signalling Jennie to stop. She heaved a sigh. "It's South Korea, Jennie. Not Canada. I can't exactly walk around declaring my sexuality."

"Yeah but- we're bestfriends. Don't you trust me?" Jennie pouted.

The blonde hesitantly pulled Jennie into a hug. "You know the answer to that, Nini."

Heat coursed through Jennie's body. 'She called me Nini again.'

"S-So then why didn't you tell me?"

"It had nothing to do with trust, Jennie, because if that was the case then I would've told you a long time ago."

"But you told Jisoo..." Jennie whined.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you. Forgive me?" Lisa asked with puppy eyes, and Jennie couldn't find it in her heart to say no.

"Okay..."

Lisa grinned, patting the shorter girl on the head.

Now that issue was solved, but Jennie had another question. Another far more pressing question. She steadied her breathing. "Lili... is there a girl that you like right now?"

The blonde was taken aback by Jennie's boldness. "Getting straight to the point today, aren't we, Jennie?"

Jennie giggled. "Well... not exactly straight."

Lisa playfully rolled her eyes, chuckling as she found Jennie's joke way funnier than it should've been. "I do."

The brunette gulped, her laughter suddenly dying in her throat. "Oh. W-was she the one who... gave you those?" Jennie shyly pointed towards the marks on the taller's neck.

The Thai blushed. "I wish." She glanced down at her watch, before looking back up at Jennie with a smile. "Class is starting soon. It was nice catching up with you, Jennie."

Jennie almost let out a pathetic whimper when Lisa left. "I... missed you." She whispered as she watched the blonde's retreating figure.