Part Twenty Seven

Noah

It's coming up to seven in the morning, but I'm already awake. I didn't get much sleep without Robbie next to me. It's odd how he only stayed in my bed for two nights, but it felt like a lot longer than that. I haven't checked my phone yet, but I could've sworn that it had been buzzing a lot more than normal. Or maybe I was dreaming it.

I grab my phone from next to my bed, and check the lock screen. I wasn't imagining it. And now I'm really worried. There's a bunch of texts from Robbie, and also a hell of a lot of missed calls from him too. Not even facetime calls. Like actual calls. All I can think of is his arms and how we'd said we'd be there for each other. There's no way I could live with myself if I found out he'd tried to contact me before doing something to himself.

I hit his contact and watch his number come up on the screen, before anxiously holding my phone to my ear as it rings. I hope I'm not too late, or that something terrible has happened to him. He answers immediately after the first ring, and it's really difficult to hear what's going on. It sounds like he's outside, near a busy road.

'Robbie? What's going on? Are you okay?!'

I hear some muffled movement and the sounds of traffic get louder.

'Robbie! Are you alright? I'm here.'

All the sounds are suddenly muted, as his phone gets close to his head. All I can hear is his breathing, and it's choked and ragged. It sounds like he's been crying. It isn't until he opens his mouth to speak that I realise he's still crying.

'N--Noah?'

His voice is shaking, and it's almost enough to bring me to tears. He sounds so lost and hurt. I need to know what I can do to help him.

'Yes Robbie. I'm here. What's wrong?'

I hear him take a deep breath, and choke a bit as some sobs fall out of his mouth. It breaks my heart hearing him in this state.

'It's-- it's my nan.'

Oh shit. He's barely been in the UK for a few hours and something terrible has happened. Has she died?!

'What about her Robbie? What's wrong?'

'She-- she had... another stroke. Whilst I was still on the plane.'

'Oh shit -- Is she alright?!'

Robbie sniffles a little bit, and I find myself clutching my phone closer to my ear, wishing with all my strength that I was there to wrap him in my arms and console him. I can hear more sobs from Robbie as he struggles to control his breathing.

'She's... she's in hosp--hospital.'

'That's good right? She's in the best place possible right now.'

He doesn't respond, and there's this terrible void filling the silence.

'I-- I didn't know who else to call... I'm sorry if I woke you up, I just didn't know...'

He cuts himself out as he lets out a soft gasp, and my heart wrenches in my chest. I sit up in bed, and I can feel myself starting to cry too. There's an ocean separating us and I can't be there physically for him, to reassure him.

'Robbie, don't you dare apologise. I'm glad that you called me. Are you able to see her?'

'She's in my hometown, which is a good three hours by train -- mum and the rest of my family are there already but I've got my gig tonight, and I'm considering cancelling it cause of... everything.'

I can hear the pain in his voice. Even though he's in the same country as his nan, he can't get to her easily. And he's having to consider cancelling doing one of the things he loves doing the most. I know I wouldn't be able to continue acting if I found out a family member was ill in the middle of a shoot.