Divergent High

"Hi mum! Bye mum!" I shout as I race down the hallway.

"You forgot breakfast Tris!" She replies

"Sorry, I have no time but the muffins look good."

I jump into Uriah's car where he is already waiting and he drives like a maniac all the way to school. It was a good thing I didn't have breakfast or else it would come right back up. Funnily enough thanks to his horrific driving, we arrived at school five minutes before class started. Just as I close the door, Christina comes running at me and I have a heart attack.

"Damn, Christina! You scared the living daylights out of me!" I tell her.

"Oh shut up Tris, you should be used to this by now!" She responds.

I couldn't get out a reply because she starts talking about her holidays in Hawaii and who she met and how there was a moth in the bathroom and how she screamed and made everyone in the hotel come check it out. Christina is my best friend who I met when I was in kindergarten and if you couldn't already guess, she could talk your ear off and wouldn't even know because she would be too busy talking.

"I knew you would be late so I got your schedule and also begged the office lady to move your locker next to mine. Your welcome!" She tells me as she hands me all my stuff, "Oh and we have the same classes together except for History....." I stopped listening because I knew she won't need a response from me. 

We make it into homeroom just before the bell rings and I see Uriah at the very back of the class. WAIT! URIAH IS IN MY HOMEROOM!?!? Oh no.

"Hey Tris! Look at that we are in the same class! Oh and um this is my friend Will," Uriah says cheerfully. I say hi to Will and take a seat right in front of them. A teacher comes in and starts talking so I completely zone out.

"Tris? Are you here?" 

"Huh? What? Oh yes, I am here," I stumble out.

"Right ok, next time can you please pay attention?" She says.

I nod and zone out again because homeroom is boring and no one cares about it. I was looking out the window when the creaking of a door captures my attention. In comes a handsome looking boy with deep blue eyes and a perfect jawline. I didn't realise my mouth was open until Christina jabbed me in the leg. 

"You must be Four Eaton then. May I ask you why you are late on the first day of school?" Mrs. whatever-her-name-is asks.

Four shrugs and sits right at the back of the classroom. I notice from the corner of my eye that he has his legs up on the desk and a bored face. Of course, I think to myself, he is the bad boy and all the girls would be all over him. Now that I look around, I see all the girls swooning at him. For once, I focus my attention on the teacher. Not because I want to hear what she has to say, but to distract me from my sudden liking to Four.

*Time Lapse*

"Okay, welcome all to senior English! My name is Mrs. Prior and I will your teacher. I know it is the start of the year but we are going to kick off with an assessment."

Everyone groans, including me. Assessments? Now? I have the sudden urge to gag but I hold it back. 

"We will be doing a partner project and since we are all new, I have already gone and picked your partners for you," Mrs. Prior says.

Double groan. When teachers pick partners for you, they usually do it boy and girl and I really don't want to be with any of the boys. Except for maybe one....

"Christina is with will; Marlene is with Uriah; Lynn is with Peter; Tris is with Four.."

 I stop listening to her after my name. Four!?!? The Four who I might have a certain crush on? The Four who I know will never look my way after this project? Yes, the one and only, Four Eaton. I give a sideway glance at Christina so she can comfort me and tell me I will be fine but I notice her smiling at the boy next to Uri. Oh, what's his name? Will, that's right. Hmm Chris and Will. That works!

All my joy vanishes when Mrs. Prior gives me a handout and tells me to go sit next to Four. I might as well die now. I walk over to Four and sit in the empty seat beside him. I don't want to look at him because I know I will get lost in those beautiful eyes that you can stare in forev- No! I am not doing this! I will not-

"Uh Trina is it?" Four asks.

My insides start screaming. We are not even 1 minute in and already something's gone wrong.

"No, it's Tris actually," I correct him, "and you are Frank?"

Of course I knew his name was Four but I wanted to sound like I didn't care about him. Wrong. I care a lot about him. He chuckles deeply.

"Why do I have a feeling you already know that my name is not Frank?" He tells me.

My cheeks start burning up. I close my eyes and sigh, today is going to be a long day.