21. A Royal?

Before we could begin, the door opened again and a huge figure stood in front of us.
We all went into attention and Neil stopped breathing.

I didn't know what went wrong, but I was sure I'm not going to like it.

****

"I gave you the task of trying him. Not training him, Captain Neil!"
He was furious to say the least.

I wanted to jump in and take the blame because I was really worried for Neil. All his hard work was about to get flushed down the drain because of me.

But I stood quietly.
Afterall he was General Warren!

"Sir.. I -"
"I'm not going to listen anything, Neil. You tricked me. I see it now."
Shit.

"That's true sir, I accept it. But I did it for our good. The boy has good potential for-"
"He's not even a captain, Neil! He can't be good enough to be a Class-I. It's impossible."

"I used to think the same, sir. Give him a chance. Let him prove us all wrong."
"His chance gets over in fifteen days. Day 50 and I'm going to kick him out."
Commander said fuming.

Neil turned around and glared at everyone who saluted the commander and left the gym in a hurry.
It was just three of us now.

"You can't kick him out till you have something against him. Something big."
"Are you threatening me, Captain Neil? You want me to take the matter in my own hands and make him sign the deal off in two hours?"
Commander was offended.
Great.

"Never my intention, apologies if I sounded so, sir."
Thank god, Neil. Use that tone and talk him out!

"You think this boy is not worthy, right?"
Neil continued carefully.
"Absolutely not"
He replied firmly.

"Then let's test him. Let him show how big of a failure he is. The fifty day trial report will always be subjective and there are high chances that his supporters will point fingers at you. Give them numbers. Let him give them the numbers himself. They won't be able to say anything if he doesn't score well and fails in the tests. Just let him appear for the tests once, Sir."

There. He was doing it again.
Mind fucking.
I could see it.

Unluckily commander saw it too.
"You're trying to brain wash your commander? Again? Captain Neil you have quite some guts."
Neil stood with his lips zipped.
He was caught red handed.

"Sir I -"
"One more word and you'll pay the price."
That was one tough tone.

After standing still for a few moments, Neil spoke up.
"I'm ready to pay any price, sir. I want him to be given a fair chance."
Neil said with head straight.
What is he doing?!!

Commander raised his eyebrows in amusement.
"Well the price is - the truth behind you doing all this. You agenda, your intention."
"I have no agenda, si-"

"Shut up. We talk about it further only if you're ready to tell me what's going on in that sharp brain of yours. No answer, or any smart move - and I'll make you sign his invalidation report. Decide. Or else, the boy leaves in fifteen days."
Commander left before Neil could play with a single more word.

"Damn! He saw through me!"
"He's the commander. What else were you expecting? Now what exactly is your intention?"
I asked him politely.

"To make my own team."
He said still looking down with million thoughts going haywire in his brain.
"And what's wrong in that?"

"The teams for group missions are decided by HQ. If I convince him to allow me and my men to work together always, I will not have to beg HQ everytime they pick up any of us singly and add to a random group. Either we all go to kill, or none of us goes."
He said firmly.