Prolouge

WARNINGS: Homophobia, swearing, violence and mentions of suicide.

July 2005

Brrriiiiiiiiiiinnnnngggggg!

The bell rattled and echoed through the corridors as chairs scraped and the shouting that suddenly erupted left ringing in my ears. I packed my bag and, with a headache and a sigh, slung it over my right shoulder and left the classroom, no friends to go to my locker with, no friends to walk home with.

Students flooded out of double doors. They all chatted excitedly about each other's plans for the summer, how some of them were heading to Florida, some to France or Spain, one or two to New Zealand. They squeezed past each other, the older ones carelessly knocking over the younger ones. The mid-July sun shone through the windows and its rays highlighted the dust in the afternoon.

All I needed to do was head to the toilet, return a library book and clear out my locker. Then I could skip on back and start my summer. Just my parents and me having water fights, beach days and homemade ice cream.

Everywhere was so far apart that by the time I got to my locker everyone was gone. There was still litter on the floors and gum stuck to the walls. Someone had left the water machine dripping and the only people left were a few teachers. I could just be in peace for a little bit.

Next to the block of lockers, on the wall was a glossy poster with a large photo of an old man and a woman. I smiled, taking out my things and gazing at it. The light made it - her - look even better.

'Last minute film part open.' it read. 'Minor stand-in needed for Venus, starring Peter O'Toole and Jodie Whittaker. Auditions 23rd August. Call 01*** *****3 for more infomation.'

And there she was.

Her warm, amazing smile, her laughing hazel eyes, her ever so slightly wavy blonde hair. Imagine being able to work alongside her. Imagine playing a character she falls in love with. Imagine....

"What's up lesbo?"

My heart stopped.

I couldn't even turn around before I got a hard kick in my legs sending me onto my knees. Another blow to the head and I was on all fours. It pounded like a base drum and I let out a small whimper. Everything crashed to the floor and I heard a harsh laugh.

"Who's that you were going all googly-eyed at?" Kacey sneered.

"It-it was n-no one." I mumbled.

She punched me in the nose and I cradled it to stop the blood. It began to drip all over my fingers and some into my mouth. I closed my eyes, hoping it would bear the pain. They were squeezed so hard they almost ached.

"WHO THE FUCK IS IT?!" she yelled, kicking me again. A few tears mixed with the red on my hands and I struggled to keep the lump in my throat down.

"S-she's called Jodie Whittaker."

"You have lovey-dovey feelings for her? You think she's all pretty? You wanna meet her one day and pray she'll like you yeah?"

"I-"

Kacey grabbed my shirt and yanked me up and towards her so our faces were almost touching. I struggled but her sidekicks took my arms, one bending it almost to the point of breakage. I could feel the sweat pouring from my forehead and clinging to my clothes.

"Jodie Whittaker? Jodie Shittaker. I bet she's worse than you at acting, and that's going far. What you think, Lesbo?"

"Don't call me that." I muttered. Luckily she didn't hear. Instead though, she brought us closer and my other arm was bent too. I almost screamed.

"Don't get you're hopes up. Even if you do get to see her, she'll hate you. You might as well go jump off a bridge while you're at it. You're so ugly, so fat and spotty, you're a suck-up, you're such a fucking clever-clogs. And," she whispered. "You're a faggot."

I opened my eyes and stared at her. That was enough. "What did you call me?" I said, sounding a lot more confident than I was.

"You heard me. Faggot. A lesbo and a faggot. That's you. Good luck in Hell, even Satan hates you."

Kacey pushed me down onto the floor and my arms were released. The blood had dribbled down my tie and shirt, got stuck in my hair and I could taste it still. I couldn't hold my tears in anymore and had a sobbing episode right there on the floor, a complete mess.

"Fucking dyke." And she and her minions strutted away. I took one last look at the poster, Jodie's smile, smiling at me. One day. I thought.