What the Hell was that?

Anna could honestly say that she had gotten lucky with her job. With her life.

She wasn’t working in a bar, and the most of the people who came to the small café were respectful enough, with the few select who seemed to think that a waitress was below them. At least she didn’t usually have to deal with obnoxious drunkards who thought that they were God’s gift to humankind.

She lived in a decent house that had belonged to her parents, when they were alive, and had good neighbours that she had known since childhood. Her life was simple, filled with routine and that was just the way she liked it. She didn’t usually have any surprises.

Key words: usually.

Anna fiddled with her hair as she waited for Gen. Their shift was done, and they had plans to go to catch a film. But her friend was now locked up in the bathroom, doing who knew what.

She knew better to question it of course, she had been friends with Gen long enough to know that she was just one of those unexplainable things.

“I can’t actually believe that Tim is late.” She mused out loud, but Gen didn’t respond as she came barreling out of the bathroom.

“Hey! Where are you going?” she called as Gen sped-walked to the entrance. Gen paused, as if she had forgotten that Anna was even there, and turned around to face her.

“Anna! It looks like we’re going to have to do a raincheck.” She said apologetically, “I just got news that my sister is sick. It's bad.” 

“Oh. sure, no problem.” Anna gave her a small smile to hide her surprise, “Maybe next week?”

“Sounds good.” Anna could tell that Gen was clearly not listening, but she didn’t let it bug her as her friend hollered goodbye, running out of the café.

There was still no sign of Tim, which meant that she had to stay and wait. Anna tried not to feel too irritated as she wandered around the building.

The bell rang, but instead of Tim, it was some other stranger. The smell of alcohol reeked around him, and he scratched the scruffy beard that covered his chin, looking around the shop, and seeing Anna.

“Can I help you?” Anna asked mandatorily, feeling the hairs on her back stand up at the way that he looked at her. 

“Hello, girly.” He slurred, and Anna sighed internally. “I might have something you could help me with.”

“I serve food sir.” She explained bluntly, ignoring the obvious innuendo. “Anything I could get you?”

“Why don’t you come along with me, ey?”

“No sir, I’m working-”

“Well now, that hardly matter-”

“And even if I wasn't, I can assure you that I would decline.” She finished bluntly.

His face contorted in anger, and he opened his mouth to shout, but at that moment, Tim appeared, the bell jungling to announce his arrival. After a few short words, Tim had kicked the offender out, and he teetered on the edge of the sidewalk for a second, before making a lewd hand gesture and clearing off.

“I was just getting to that part.” Anna untied her apron as Tim walked back inside.

“I know, and you would have kicked his ass.” 

“Just like the last guy.” Anna rolled her eyes and Tim laughed.

“Exactly. That's why I needed to get him out of here before you’re forced to pay his hospital fees.” he looked around the building. “Gen leave already?”