XIX. DOBBY THE HOUSE-ELF

DOBBY THE HOUSE-ELF!

JULY 1992

2nd Year

• • • •

On a quiet Summer evening in Surrey, Annabelle Potter let out a sigh as she sat on her and Harry's bed, duck taping the large crack in her broken skateboard - courtesy of her cousin - as her brother sat at their desk, looking at the picture book that Rubeus Hagrid had given the twins at the end of their first year at Hogwarts. Harry smiled, looking at the picture of him and his sister as babies with their parents, before turning the page to look at a picture of The Potter siblings with their closest friends, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, grinning at the memory. It was then Harry's owl, Hedwig started chirping and hooting in her cage.

"I can't let you out, Hedwig." Harry told her.

Annabelle looked at the bird in sympathy, stroking Nutmeg, who's head was next to her owners lap, Vernon allowing her pet out of the cage, but not their room, but they found ways to let her out without him knowing. Hedwig was a different story, considering their Uncle put a padlock on her cage.

"I'm not allowed to use magic outside of school," Hedwig continued to nibble at her lock, squawking loudly, "Besides, if Uncle Vernon--"

"POTTERS!!!" Their Uncles voice yelled up, making Annabelle let out a groan.

"Great." The girl nodded, standing up.

Harry glanced downstairs, then at his sister, who gave him a look, before he turned to Hedwig and closed the book, "Now you've done it."

The Potters sighed, walking downstairs and walking into the kitchen, where Petunia was working on a cake.

"He's in there," The woman told the twins, nodding to the living room, "Vernon." She got her husband's attention, as Harry and Annabelle entered the living room, seeing their Uncle assisting their cousin get dressed up.

"I'm warning you. If you can't control that bloody bird, it'll have to go." Vernon told Harry.

"But she's bored. If I could only let her out for... an hour or two." Harry attempted to reason with the man - who chuckled evilly.

"So you two can send secret messages to your freaky little friends? No, sir." Vernon shook his head.

"But we haven't had any messages from any of our friends." Harry told him, sadly, gesturing between him and his sister.

"Not one," Annabelle shook her head in confirmation, licking her lips, "All Summer." She frowned, thinking of all the people who had promised to write to her just before the holidays had started: Hermione, Ron, Cora, Neville, Seamus, Dean, the Patil twins, Fred, George, Oliver, Angelina, and more. Perhaps they only said that, but didn't actually mean it, as not to upset her, or she had done something she didn't realise she had done, and made them hate her. Those thoughts had been running through her head all Summer.