XXIV. MUDBLOODS AND MURMURS

MUDBLOODS AND MURMURS!

SEPTEMBER 1992

2nd Year

• • • •

Annabelle let out a soft sigh as she walked next to Harry, as they and the rest of the Gryffindor Quidditch team made their way through the corridors, heading to the Quidditch pitch. The team all sported their red and gold Quidditch uniform, their broomsticks in hand.

"I spent the summer devising a whole new Quidditch program," Oliver told his team, "We are going to train earlier, harder, and longer," The Captain glanced to his left, the rest of the team following his gaze, "What...? I don't believe it," Stepping out into the courtyard, they came across the Slytherin Quidditch team, who were also dressed for Quidditch, as Ron, Cora and Hermione were sitting nearby and Oliver directed his attention to the team's captain, Marcus Flint, "Where do you think you're going, Flint?" Oliver asked the Slytherin.

"Quidditch practice." Flint answered.

"I booked the pitch for Gryffindor today." Oliver said.

"Easy, Wood. I've got a note." Flint told the boy, holding out a rolled up scroll, which Oliver took, opening the note.

"Uh-oh. I smell trouble." Ron said, before he, Cora and Hermione got up and walked towards the two teams.

Oliver read the parchment, "'I, Professor Severus Snape, do hereby give the Slytherin team permission to practice today, owing to the need to train their new Seeker.'" He read, before looking up from the parchment, "You've got a new Seeker, who?"

Flint stepped aside, and Draco stepped out towards the Gryffindor team members.

Harry stared, amazed that his nemesis is now a member of his rival Quidditch team, "Malfoy?"

"That's right. And that's not all that's new this year." Draco said, putting his broom at his side, making Harry, Annabelle, Ron, Hermione, and the rest of the Gryffindor Quidditch team examine the brooms Draco and the rest of the Slytherin team had by their sides.

"Those are Nimbus 2001s." Cora exclaimed.

"How did you get those?" Ron marvelled.

"A gift from Draco's father." Flint told the redhead.

"You see, Weasley, unlike some, my father can afford the best." Draco said, making Annabelle share a look with Fred, rolling her eyes.

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in," Hermione spoke up, "They got in on pure talent." She said, making the said team, Ron and Cora nod in agreement.

Draco glare at the bushy-haired girl in annoyance, taking a few steps and stopping only at arms length in front of her, "No one asked your opinion," The blonde boy spat, "You filthy little Mudblood."

Hermione glared at him with a mixture of hate and hurt as Draco sneered, whilst Ron, Cora and the Gryffindor team - except Harry - all glared at the boy, as well.

"You'll pay for that one, Malfoy!" Ron cried, taking out his wand and aiming it at Draco, "Eat slugs!" He yelled.

Unfortunately, Ron's spell backfired, a green light blasting him off backwards and onto the ground, making Hermione, Cora and the Gryffindor Quidditch team immediately rush to his side.

"You okay, Ron?" Hermione asked the boy, who looked like he was going to be sick, "Say something!"

Ron opened his mouth as if to say something, but instead he threw up a slug, causing everyone let out cries of disgust.

Colin then suddenly popped out of nowhere, starting to take pictures of Ron, "Wow! Can you turn him around, Harry?" The first year asked.

"No, Colin! Get out of the way," Harry yelled at the boy, as he, Annabelle, Cora and Hermione helped Ron to his feet, "Let's take him to Hagrid," Ron regurgitated another slug, making Annabelle grimace, "He'll know what to do."

The five of them rushed off, while the Slytherins laugh at them, Harry bumping Malfoy's shoulder harshly along the way.

As she passed the Slytherin team, Annabelle turned to Draco, "You're vile." She told him, before stamping hard on his foot, making the blonde topple over in pain, before she rushed after her friends, taking note of the proud smirks that spread across Fred and George's faces.

***

"Wo, this calls for a specialist's equipment, "Hagrid said, giving Ron a giant wooden bucket for him to throw the slugs up into, "Nothin' to do but wait'll it stops, I'm afraid." The half-giant told the redhead, as Ron spewed up another slug.

"Ah! Oh... Okay." Harry grimaced, he and Cora holding the bucket steady for the boy.

"Better out than in," Hagrid said, "Who was Ron tryin' to curse, anyway?"

"Malfoy." Annabelle answered, shaking her head.

"He called Hermione, ...um, well, I don't- I don't know exactly what it means." Harry said.

Hermione stood up, turning away and crossing her arms, tears starting to pool in her eyes, "He called me a Mudblood." She said.

Hagrid let out a loud gasp, "He did not!"

"What's a Mudblood?" Harry questioned.

Hermione whipped around "It means 'dirty blood'." She told the dark-haired boy, "Mudblood's a really foul name for someone who is Muggle-born. Someone with non-magic parents. Someone like me. It's not a term one usually hears in civilized conversation." The girl's voice got quieter at the end.

"See, the thing is, Harry, there're some wizards, like the Malfoy family, who think they're better'n everyone else because they're what people call 'pure blood'." Hagrid explained.

"That's horrible!" Harry exclaimed.

"Vile." Annabelle agreed, crossing her arms as she stood next to Hermione.

"Ridiculous." Cora nodded.

Ron belched out another slug, "It's disgusting." He added.

"And it's codswallop, to boot. 'Dirty blood.'," Hagrid scoffed, "Why, there isn't a wizard alive today that's not half blood or less. More ter the point, they've yet to think of a spell that our Hermione can' do. Come here...," He said, taking one of the girl's small hands into his own large ones, "Don't you think on it, Hermione. Don't you think on it for one minute... eh?" He told her, making the Gryffindor smile, though some tears were still prickling her eyes, and Annabelle took her best friend's free hand in her own in comfort.