Chapter Two

Error opened a portal into the Under!Swap AU copy.

Nightmare's emergency beacon had flickered on while nobody was watching, and Error was absolutely furious. There was supposed to be a sound system, an alarm of some sort, but it wasn't working. Apparently the beacon had been flashing for seven minutes before being reactivated just three minutes ago, and until now nobody had seen it. Once this all blew over, they REALLY needed to get that fixed...

He ran towards the beacon's signal, leaping over debris on the ground- evidence of a vicious fight. This was worrisome.

He burst into a clearing, gasping for breath, when he finally spotted Nightmare.

The same breath he was fighting for was easily stolen away.

Nightmare was in a very bad way- corruption was leaking from his tendrils in unnatural quantities, and his body was raked with coughing every few seconds. The Guardian was collapsed on the ground, too weak to even get up.

"No... no... NIGHTMARE!!"
Error ran to the other's side, desperation making his voice catch in his throat. "You'll be okay... I'm here now... what happened?!"

Nightmare looked at the other ruefully.

"Ink created a potion that was supposed to kill you, Err. I think it would have worked, based on my reaction..."

Error blanched at the implications. "No. You... you're going to be fine. You have to be fine. It's... this can't..."

Nightmare reached up a hand, wincing at the effort, and touched Error's cheek with bittersweet fondness. "We both know that isn't true, Err. I can feel myself going away."

"B-but we need you," Error half-sobbed, looking down at Nightmare through eyelights blurred with tears. "I need you. You c-can't die!"

"Tell that to my body, Nightmare said, chuckling grimly. He winced, coughing up more corruption. "...ouch..."

Error buried his face in Nightmare's hand, crying softly. "I need you. W-we all need you...!"

Nightmare smiled weakly. "...I know. I'm sorry, Error."

He used one of his least drippy tendrils to wipe away Error's tears as best he could.

"Take care of the gang for me? Please...?"

Nightmare sounded desperate as he spoke quietly. "Error, they need a leader.."

"I-I'll try, Nighty," Error whispered hoarsely. "I swear i'll do my best."

Nightmare relaxed, dropping his tentacle from the Destroyer's face. "...Thank you."

Error clung to him as if his world were ending. To the glitch, it might as well have been.