writer's glossary

I'm sure each of us sooner or later comes across all these words when we start writing stories. Here are all the necessary terms you need to know as a story creator + some curious ones that will help you make sense of the writing process ❤️

⋙⋘

Antihero -- a main character who lacks conventional heroic qualities such as idealism, courage, and morality. These individuals often possess dark personality traits such as disagreeableness, dishonesty, and aggressiveness.

MC -- Main Character. The lead of the story.

Sidekick -- sidekicks, by definition, are almost always with the main character, which allows the conflict to be ongoing. A person who helps and spends a lot of time with someone who is usually more important, powerful, etc.

Protagonist -- the character whom the story is about and who is most directly affected by the antagonist.

This character may be the narrator/POV character (such as Harry Potter or Katniss Everdeen), or the protagonist may be a character who is viewed by someone else (as Nick Carraway in The Great Gatsby, who tells us about the protagonist Jay Gatsby)

Antagonist -- a person (or force) standing in opposition to the protagonist.

Deuteragonist -- a secondary protagonist and the driver of a subplot. Can be a sidekick.

Love Interest -- a principle secondary character for whom the protagonist has romantic interest (and/or the romantic subplot itself).

Impact Character -- a character who is a strong catalyst for change in the protagonist, causing inner conflict and helping put the plot into motion.

Archetype -- a "type" of character, which is commonly repeated across literature. Examples: The Mentor, the Magician, etc.

MARY SUE (female), MARTY-STU (male) -- a term for a character who is able to do everything, with unrealistic abilities.

Character Arc -- the personal/inner transformation the protagonist undergoes over the course of the story.

Usually, the character learns something through the main conflict in order to become a better person by the story's end.

Unreliable Narrator -- the narrator's unreliability might be obvious to the reader throughout, it might be revealed gradually, or it might come as a revelation that provides a major plot twist.

Common examples are Vladimir Nabakov's Humbert Humbert from Lolita and Alex from A Clockwork Orange. An Unreliable Narrator might mislead the reader on purpose, or simply misinterpret the events of the story 'by mistake'.

Omniscient Narrator --  an "all-knowing" narrator (sometimes the author, sometimes the fictional protagonist), who tells the reader things, which the characters have no way of learning.

POV -- point of view.

First Person -- point of view in which readers "see" through the eyes of the main character. It uses pronouns such as "I" and "me."

Third Person -- point of view in which the narrator exists outside the events of the story, describing the actions of the characters, and referring to their names or by the third-person pronouns he, she, or they.

Third-person narration can be: omniscient, limited (when the protagonist is not the MC, and objective (aka unreliable narrator).

MS -- "Manuscript." A yet unpublished work, whether written or typed.