This Is War

I sat at the window in my room at my dad’s, staring through the blinds, waiting to see Ansel’s car. Most of my family was out back or downstairs talking or snacking on food. The sounds of kids jumping into the water was loud. Whenever I looked away for just a second, I would hurry to look back through them. I tapped my leg anxiously, then it eventually was because I had to pee. I finally gave in, going to the bathroom.

“Morgan, Ansel is here!” My dad shouted. I hurried to wash my hands and fix my hair. I brushed off my shirt and fixed my shorts, then adjusted my bikini top.

I skipped down the stairs and saw Ansel in his swim trunks and bro tank. He waved his mom away and she drove off. I giggled and saw that he was holding a bouquet of roses. I got on my tip-toes and wrapped my arms around him.

“Hey, babe.” I muttered as I hugged him. Ansel hugged me back, just as tight.

“Hey.” After I let go, he came in and handed me the flowers. I sniffed them and looked up at him.

“They’re lovely.” I grabbed his hand with mine and led him into the kitchen. As soon as we walked in, the music stopped and all the talking came to a stop. I tightened my grip on Ansel’s hand.

“Everyone, this is my boyfriend, Ansel.” He nervously waved and muttered a ‘hi’. A few more seconds of silence occurred. Then, everyone got up and erupted with ‘hello’s and everyone started giving him hugs.

My dad put a cheeseburger on my bun and two on both of Ansel’s buns. We walked over to the condiment table and I put barbecue sauce on mine, while Ansel smothered his in mustard, ketchup and barbecue sauce. He shoved a handful of potato chips into his mouth while we walked over to the grass in our backyard.

I sat down Indian style while Ansel did the same, sitting across from me. I took a bite of my cheeseburger and Ansel was looking around the backyard at all of my cousins and family members, laughing and dancing.

“Your family is so…” Ansel tapped his fingers searching for the right words. “Upbeat.”

I laughed and swallowed my food.

“This side is. My mom’s side is more uptight.” I stole another one of his chips.

“If you keep stealing my chips,” Ansel glared at me. “Bad things will happen.”

I stood up, crossing my arms and looking down at him. It felt weird looking down at him since I’m usually looking up at him. We glared at each other for a minute or so.

“You’re gonna have to catch me first.” I reached down and grabbed a chip, then ran to the other end of the pool.

Ansel was close behind me, but I weaved in between family members and went back to his plate, stealing another chip. My cousins that were in the pool watched us run around like we were little kids. I could tell my family was wondering what was going on but I kept running. I stopped for one moment to catch my breath and then arms wrapped around me from behind, picking me up.

“Ansel!” I screamed. I heard my family members laughing. Ansel was walking toward the pool.

“Oh my god, Ansel. No!” I was giggling and as I looked down, I saw my cousins clearing the pool for the inevitable.

“I told you to stop!” And with that, Ansel laughed and threw me into the pool.

The plunge in wasn’t so bad since it was a hot day but it felt pretty good. The water was nice and cold, but I heard another splash. I sat on the bottom of the pool for a few seconds, then decided to stand back up. When I came back up, I turned around and saw Ansel standing in the pool, right next to me.

“What the heck!” I hit his chest and laughed. “That was not cool.”

Ansel was chuckling and placed his hand over the spot where I hit him.

“You have the weakest punch.” I scrunched my nose at him and he mocked me. As I wrapped my arms around him in the middle of the pool, I saw a flash.

“Really, dad?” I asked, shocked. My dad put his camera in his back pocket, then threw his hands up in surrender.

I looked up at Ansel, who was just looking down at me with a smile on his face.

“Don’t ever do that again.” I had a stern tone. Ansel kissed the top of my head.

“Can’t make any promises.” He replied. I went underwater and swam a few feet away. When I came back up, I splashed him.

“You’ve gotta promise me!” I shouted over his return splash. “Or else, we will have a splash war.”

Ansel shrugged his shoulders.

“I guess this is war, then.” With that, I reached over the edge of the pool and got the pool noodle while he grabbed the water gun.