02. Trouble

TWO TROUBLE

TWO TROUBLE

Josette had a job to do. She and one of her sisters were to draw as much attention to themselves as possible. So, with a flair for the dramatics, she and Toni took off in their old Chevy convertible (they bought it back in 1964 and kept it intact ever since). The sky was overcast with a promise of rain that evening, but it wouldn't be a problem for them on the morning of their second day in town. Her hair was curled in a way that reminded her of the twenties as a cigarette hung loosely from her lips with her hands on the wheel. Cigarettes were fairly useless to her as a vampire, and Henri loved to drill that in, but it reminded Josette of when she was younger. Human, even. Heading into her nineties made her a little sentimental if she was being honest. Smoke curled around her face as the two sisters drove at a slow but reasonable pace, crawling through the quiet town to see if they could get the attention of whatever else was occupying Forks.

Since it was Toni who had caught their sense in the first place, she opted to come along. Unneeded sunglasses resting on the top of her straightened hair. Toni always remarked that was one of her favorite parts of the twenty-first century -- the hair. Josette was fond of it as well, especially the afro she donned back in the seventies.

Still, they had a job to do. Forks wasn't much of a town as they drove through Main Street with curious gazes. They received more than a few stares from the residents of the rainy town, but they hadn't caught a whiff of anything they should be worried about. Josette's golden eyes gleamed at the smell of human blood, but she hardly bat an eye. She had been a vegetarian for so long, it wasn't even that tempting anymore. She had her moments, but now was not one of them. Toni was as old as time compared to Josette, coming from the early 1800s, so she didn't mind the smell of human blood at all. The only person they really had to worry about was Margot, but she was Henrietta's problem right now.

A wolf whistle drew Josette's attention as she drove. She scoffed as a man half her age looked the girls up and down and Toni decided to pull her favorite trick, "She's seventeen, asshole!"

The man immediately looked away and continued his walk through town while the two girls laughed to themselves. If Josette had it her way, she would have flicked her cigarette just enough in his direction and set it aflame. As if she could read her mind, Toni clicked her tongue and shook her head.

"Don't even think about it," the girl chastised, pulling the half-finished cigarette out of her sister's mouth and stubbing it out on the ashtray they kept in the car. Josette just chuckled as she reached into her pack and pulled out another one, lighting it between her lips without lifting a finger. "Hey, I smell something."

They were driving past Forks Hospital -- a surprising amenity for a small town when Toni's eyes stayed on someone. Josette slowed down and pulled into the parking lot of a general store across the street. From what she could see, a sleek black Mercedes was pulling into a parking spot. Getting out was a tall pale man with light blond hair. Immediately, Toni crinkled her nose and Josette smelled it, too.