03. New Girls

THREE NEW GIRLS

THREE NEW GIRLS

The Carines did not see any other vampires again since that day, however, that didn't erase the underlying sense of dread every time they walked through the sleepy town of Forks to get things they needed. People often stared at them, but Josette had a feeling that was simply how they treated newcomers. It didn't help that Margot was still wearing her old windbreaker that looked like it was twenty years old. Josette was pretty sure the design wasn't even sold anymore, but Margot still wore it as her life depended on it. Josette understood, though. When you were out of time, it felt nice to be wrapped in something that reminded you of home. Josette hardly remembered what home felt like. Home was her sisters now, that was all that mattered.

"I already feel like we stick out, why is everyone staring at us?" Margot gripped her sister's hand tightly as they got out of the car.

"It's because we're new, that's all," Henrietta comforted as she got out of the car, collecting her lesson plans she had prepared for the first few weeks of school. It was easy to teach history when you had lived through most of it. "Now, remember girls, I don't know if the others are going to be here, but if they are, for the love of God, do not start anything. That being said, make sure to finish it."

"We're not gonna get into some epic vamp fight on our first day," Margot scoffed, twisting a curl around her finger nervously as she turned to Josette, "Right?"

Josette smiled and nodded, "Right. Henri, stop scaring her. We're gonna head to the office and get our classes. See you after?"

Henri nodded as she headed towards the school, "See you girls later. And one more thing, please try and make some friends?"

Josette nodded to reassure her as they watched the woman push through the front doors of the school. The girl desperately wished more of her sisters were here, but Annie and Liz absolutely refused to re-do high school any more times. Josette really didn't want to redo it either, but she knew Margot didn't want to be alone so she was going to do what she had to do. She was the next youngest, so it was only fair.

"Oh, my God! Your jacket is so cool, totally vintage," a perky voice called out as a short girl with light brunette hair walked over to them, her eyes glued to Margot's jacket, "Are you guys new, too? That's so weird, Forks never has this many newbies. Anyway, hi, I'm Jessica."

"Jo," Josette introduced herself, already liking the kindness this girl was showing. "This is my sister, Margot. She loves all that vintage stuff, but for some reason, she's on a nineties kick. I've always preferred the twenties myself if I'm being honest."

Margot smiled as if she remembered how to interact with people as she playfully shoved her sister with her elbow, "Whatever, I like it. Anyway, yeah, we just moved here last week with our sisters. Nice to meet you, uh, who else is new?"

"Apparently the sheriff's daughter, Isabella, just moved here, I haven't seen her yet, though," Jessica explained, leading the girls over to another car in the lot where there were a few teenagers huddled as they waited for classes to start. "These are my friends, Mike, Angela, and Eric! Guys, this is Jo and Margot! They just moved here. Where did you say you were from again?"