Chapter 1

You had been caught in between dreams, not fully asleep but also not fully awake. It'd been hard to sleep lately. You've always had insomnia but with school and stress and family piling up and overflowing, it has piled up on top of you. Turning to the side, you grasp a nearby pillow close to you as your thoughts run away from you.

'I wonder if Shikamaru's asleep right now,' you think. 'No, stop that, he's your friend, he doesn't care about you that way.' You've always had a soft spot for the boy. All the other girls in the village pined after Sasuke, and you had to admit, he was a cutie. But not the guy for you. You always had your eye on your lazy ninja. You had been neighbors since you were kids. Almost everyone in the village knew you two were close and didn't hesitate to let you know that you'd make a great pair. You, of course, didn't hide your care for Shikamaru from him either. Every day, both of you would train together or even just get ramen from Ichiraku. Though he would never say it or show that he cared, he loved your friendship just as much as you did.

'I bet he's so warm.' You feel your eyes shoot open and quickly shake your head at the thought. 'Stop it!' You grip the pillow tighter. Your mind settles as you drift off again, the thoughts of Shikamaru slowly seeping back in as you soon lose control through your gentle slumber.