| chapter forty eight.

chapter forty eight a pair of fucking simps

✪✪✪✪✪✪

NERVOUS WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT for how Poppy was currently feeling. Although she was an actress and attended events like these all the times, she had this feeling in her stomach that resulted in her anxiety to sky rocket — the four coffees may have also contributed to the feeling.

  As she was awaiting for her producer to call up herself and the rest of the supporting cast, she couldn't help but look into the crowd. A smile lit up on her face as she saw Patrick in the second row with his phone out, even with the loud atmosphere of New York City, Poppy could recognise the laughters and cheers of the Hype House any day. Patrick waved frantically as a small laugh escaped from the younger Huston, Poppy waving back.

  However, what she didn't realise was the anticipation of literally all of the other cast as they watched the empty seat beside Patrick — still remain empty. Ryan and Charlie had been able to pull some strings to get an extra plus one seat for Poppy (without her knowing) for the boy who was supposed to be there already.

  "And now please welcome to the stage, our lovely supporting cast! Poppy Huston, Noah Gray-Cabey, Froy Gutierrez, Mckenzie Small and Thomasin Mackenzie!" The applause filled the streets of New York City as Poppy and her cast members walked onto the stage and joined the main cast. Poppy couldn't keep her smile off her face, as all of the anxiety built up in her stomach disappeared as she stood with her family — her LA family not too far away either.

  "What did I miss?" A voice spoke as Patrick turned his head to the right, to see Ryland sitting beside him staring at Poppy on stage — a look of admiration evident. "What the fuck!" Patrick, and the many Hype House members screamed out, as Ryland continued to clap for the cast.

  "No fucking way!" Patrick screamed again, the screams of her brother causing Poppy's attention to turn to him. Though, at the sight of her brother and the boy sitting next to him, her breath hitched in her throat and her stomach dropped what seemed like 21 floors.

  Never in a million years did she think Ryland Storms would go out of his way to see a girl. Never in a million years did she think that she'd be that girl. But there they were, she was staring at him and he was staring at her — in New York fucking City.

  A small smile fell upon Poppy's lips as her and Ryland stared back at each other, Ryland's smile only growing bigger at the sight of the girl — and potentially because he could see Ryan and Charlie jumping up and down in the corner of his eye. This was really happening. Holy shit, Ryland thought, I'm a fucking simp.

  "Now please join us in watching this special screening of the first episode of The Right Path, Home Sweet Home." The producer announced, as the cast of the show exited the stage and proceeded to walk to their seats. Poppy couldn't even hear or see what was happening around her as her sight was only on Ryland, the girl nodding her head to the backstage area — the boy immediately standing up and following (Ryan and Patrick were also freaking the fuck out but anyways).

  As Poppy stood backstage, arms wrapped around her cold body, she watched the brunette head of hair pop out from behind the screen. A soft smile on her face as the boy she couldn't stop thinking about stood in front of her. Ryland's stomach wouldn't stop turning at the sight of the Poppy, the butterflies in his stomach evident as he looked down at the beautiful girl in front of him — it might've also been because of the poor aeroplane food.

  "Hi." Poppy whispered out, she had had a long confession of love written out in her Notes app, only dreaming about this moment. But now that it was happening, she had no fucking idea what to say. This never happens.

  "Hi." Ryland softly spoke as he reached out to her, the girl taking a small step back — which caused the Storms boy to stand there in confusion. "Did I read the room wrong?" He asked, as Poppy stood there, arms still wrapped around her torso, it was as if she was holding onto herself for dear life — scared to take the leap.

  Poppy softly shook her head as she looked into his eyes, her voice breaking as she said, "If you come any closer, I'm not letting g-"

  Poppy was interrupted with Ryland quickly stepping forward and grabbing her face, the boy proceeding to smash his lips against hers. Poppy was in shock at first, but soon kissed the boy she was in love with back — their lips moving perfectly in sync (it wasn't like they hadn't been doing this for years). Ryland's grip had moved from Poppy's face to her waist, as she wrapped her arms around his neck, closing the gap between the two.

  As the two pulled away, Poppy rested her forehead against Ryland's as they stood there, eyes closed, catching their breaths. "I had a whole thing written out for you... but I can't remember any of it." She whispered as he softly smiled, his fingers caressing hers. "It's okay..." He replied. His hand moving to her jaw as he softly rubbed his thumb on her cheek, "I didn't think I was capable of it you know... loving."

  Poppy's breath hitched in her throat once again, her eyes never leaving his as she awaited him to finish his sentence. "But somehow, you made me a fucking simp." The two laughed as Poppy pulled him in closer, "I love you, Pop. Always have and always will. I don't have a helicopter, or flowers, or a fucking expensive chain. But I hope that's enough... those words." The boy breathed out as Poppy's smile widened like the Cheshire Cat.

  "I really wanted a helicopter... but you're lucky I love you too." She whispered, as the two leaned in and reconnected their lips as the cheers of her brother and cast mates could be heard in the background.

  "What a pair of fucking simps!"

  "Shut up Ryan!"

✪✪✪✪✪✪

author's note POPLAND

also hi i would just like to say that yes i know i am ignoring covid in this book as it just makes everything run smoother. but i do hope everyone is staying safe where ever you are located in the world! where i live it is currently quite normal and we are not in lockdown and don't have mask precautions. but i do know that it is so much more serious in other countries & continents. please stay safe and take precautions! it's a pandemic, it won't go away anytime soon even though we all want it to! stay safe!