Chapter One

-Maddison's POV-
"Maddison, would you please stop staring out the window at the auction and get ready for school? I don't want you being late on your first day." Mother yells at me, flailing her arms about. I sigh, sulking back into the chair.

"But mum.." I whine, giving her my best puppy dog eyes. She gives me a stern look and shoo's me off to my room. I pull on my light denim shorts and navy blue tank top. I then quickly throw my black jacket and tie up my white converse before walking back down the stairs to the loungeroom again. I take a quick peek out the window before heading out the door.

I walk down the hallway to my locker, number 624, and shove my bag in. I grab my books for class then turn around and see familiar and some unfamiliar faces. "Wow, we got alot of new students this year." I mutter to myself, walking down the hall to my best friend, Eva. She gives me a happy smile when I reach her.

"Hey girl, whats up? I haven't seen you in ages." she says, pulling me into a tight hug.

"Yeah I know, it's been too long. A lot just happened during the holidays I guess." I give her a small smile and she looks concerned.

"What happened? Are you okay?" she asks, patting my shoulder reassuringly. I nod, looking back up at her. Her pure green eyes still filled with concern.

"You know my neighbour Mrs Adams?" I ask, looking down again but managing to keep my voice steady.

"The one that was like a grandmother to you?" I nod.

"She passed away at the start of break." I look up to see her eyes and mouth wide open.

"Oh my gosh, honey. I'm so sorry!" she pulls me into a tight hug again and I wrap my arms around her, sniffling into her shoulder.

"It's okay, she was getting old anyway. It was bound to happen." My voice is mumbled by her shoulder and I feel her nod. The bell rings and she grabs her books from her locker. "Wanna hang out after school or something?" I suggest, trying to stop myself from staring at my feet. She nods, giving me another smile before linking arms with me and walking me to class.

The bell goes for lunch and I race out the class, just managing to squeeze through everyone. I run to my locker and shove my books into it. I must have been daydreaming for a while because Eva taps my shoulder, asking if I'm okay.

"Uh, yeah. I'm fine. Let's just go to lunch." I close my locker, smiling at her. She nods then I follow her out to the cafeteria. She goes and sits at a table while I grab some food for lunch.

"What did you get?" she asks when I get to the table and I look through my pile of goods.

"I got twisties, coke, pizza, hot chips and a lemonade." Her eyes light up when she sees the lemonade and she reaches her arm out, snatching it from my hand. She rips off the lid and starts gulping it down.

"Woah, calm down there tiger!" I wink, opening up the twisties. She laughs, spraying the lemonade all over the table. Soon after all the twisties fly out of my mouth and over her as I laugh really hard at her. Her mouth drops open in shock, causing the leftover lemonade to dribble onto her shirt.

"Oh my gosh the lemonade is dribbling onto your top!" I squeal with laughter, pointing to her top. She looks down and her face drops. I hear her mutter 'crap' before running out of the cafeteria. I chuckle to myself, looking at the door she just ran through. Idiot. I turn back to face my food and shove my hand back into the twisties packet, munching on them while I attempt to open my coke.

I hear some yelling coming from behind me so I turn around to see who it is but no-ones there. Must be coming from the hallway. I shrug to myself before turning to the chips, pouring some sauce onto them. I look back to see if Eva is back yet but I cannot see her anywhere. Where'd she go?