Chapter Three

Pov:Bambina

It's almost sunset by the time Smalls and I are almost home. We had to go to the heart of Queens today to sell all our papes. No one wants to know how the trolly strike is still going in it's twelfth week. It's old news.

"Rough day," Smalls huffs. I nod, agreeing. "Nobody wants to hear about that strike anymore, and it's almost over now. If we get no good news...." I sigh.

Smalls puts one of his large hands on my shoulder. "Hey, I know."

"It's been five years and I still can't afford a ticket to Italy. At this rate it'll take a good six more years till we can pull our money and go together." I try not to cry, (or yell for that matter) thinking of Angela alone for that long.

"I know Deer-Den." He messes up for a second before catching himself. "Is it so bad if we hang out in the Bronx for a while though?"

I shrug, "You know about my sister, Smalls. I can't leave her there. I love you guys, you're as much as a family I'll get- but while she's out there- I..."

He nods, understanding. "I still don't know what happened to my siblings, I haven't seen them since I was in france." We're quiet for a bit, not an awkward one though. One of the things I love about Smalls is how we don't have to be loud or quiet when it's just us. He's just Smalls. And I'm just Deer. 

After a bit, I break the silence. "I still don't know where my brothers or father are. Not to mention my twin." I say, a little anger in my voice.

Smalls stops dead, and whips around to face me. "Listen to me, Deer." He says my name quietly so no one can hear. "Your father and older brothers? If they didn't look for you by now, they're jerks. Okay? There Connards." He says, cursing in french again. I let out a laugh that sounds more like a sob. Smalls frowns at me, pulling me into a hug. "As for your twin." he says the word with so much hate. "He left you, and that seems like the most selfish,dumb thing he could've done. Okay? He is no twin of yours now. If he came running back into your life now? I'd hit him all the way to Staten Island." He says.

I start to laugh this time, a real one. "You know, you're a better brother than he could have ever been." I say, pulling out of our hug.

He smiles at me, "Oh I better be. Nothing could be worse than him."

I smile as we keep walking, the sun starting to set. Smalls has to slow his walking pace for me, due to my short legs and his long strides. But then, we pass a convenient store.

"Hey Smalls, you can walk on without me, okay?" I say. He stops and looks at me as if I were that baby from the paper today- the one with two heads. "Pete is already going to be upset that we're home late. Do you know how angry he'll be if we don't come home together?" He tells me.

I nod before explaining, "I need to pick something up," 

He raises an eyebrow, "Sense when are you a shopper Den?" He says about to laugh.

"I have to get some...girls things I need to get."

He nods as it hits him. "I could go in with you, I don't mind." he says simply.

"I know you don't, but it might be a while. I wouldn't want you getting yelled at for being later than we already are." I explain.

Smalls does a lip trebel, and then nods reluctantly "If you get lost or hurt, I swear Deer- I'm going to lose it."

I laugh at that, "I couldn't get lost in New York, I know it too well. And I've never been soaked without hurting the other guy worse." I say.

He smiles at that. "Okay, okay, fine. I'll meet you at home in a bit."