Chapter Eleven

Pov: Bambina

I stare at my day's wages, a pile of coins in my hand, with a frown.

I usually make more than this, but with the new price....

"I'se know Deer, same here." Bugs says, noticing the way I'm counting my coins.

"This isn't fair. The people running the World- they have enough money already. I-..." I start, but I have no words.

"Hey, I'se know, I'se know." Bugs says, sitting down next to me.

I'm sitting on top of The Factory, overlooking The Bronx. Theres a slight chill, whitch is odd for the summer.

"You'se still savin up ta go to Italy, right Deer?" He asks.

I nod.

"Well, if ya needs ta, maybe you could tap into ya savings...?" He offers.

My nose scrunches up with the idea of it. "No way Bugs. I need to see my sister."

He shrugs, "Just an idea.

"Hey, did you'se hear 'bout what da Hatten boys are doin'?" He asks.

"To be frank, Bugs, I don't really care about Manhattan." I joke.

"Yeah, but they'se going on strike."

"What?" I ask, startled. 

"At least, that's the word going around. Jack's boys are going to borough ta borough, askin' people ta join 'em. But, everyones waitin' ta see what Brooklyn is gonna do." He explains.

Brooklyn.

I almost forgot, Spot wants me to meet up with him tonight. It's just sunset, so it must be seven thirty or so. If I want to make it to the bridge on time, I'll have to leave now.

But how? Were not allowed to leave our base after dark- and Petes making sure Smalls goes with me everywhere now.

"Well...That's something, isn't it?" I say, a slight smile on my face.

"Would you'se join?" Bugs asks.

"I suppose. Unless that meant I'd have to be around Ricky all the time."

He snorts, "Got that right. But we'se better get inside." Bugs says, starting to climb down into a window.

"I guess..." I mutter to myself in italian.

I follow him through the window, sliding inside.

Bugs is off to the bathroom, probably to shave. I noticed how is jaw was lined with stubble earlier. 

Before I can look around for a way out, I feel a tug on my pants.

I look down, and see Hector. "Hey, what's up?" I ask.

"Danny and I are tired. An féidir leat greim a fháil orainn?" He says. Half of it is in Irish, they're still learning english.

I give him a warm smile, "You know I can't understand what you're saying, Hector."

He huffs, exasperated. I know exactly how he feels. I wasn't fluent in English till I was around thirteen.

Instead of using words, Hector just drags me over to his and Danny's bunk.

Oh, they want me to tuck them in.

Danny and Hector lost their Mother and Father to disease on Ellis island.

For a while when they first arrived, they were still mourning. To an extent, they still are now.

"You want me to tuck you guys in?" I ask, a little uncertain.