6 : Breaking and Putting Up Barriers

He hated this.

He hated the pretence that was required in his role at times but he had no choice. He watched the tall man who stood in front of him and he tried to keep his face neutral. If he let his distaste for the older man show then the deal with him would be over even before they began.

"I was expecting your father," Enoch told him gruffly, his displeasure clear in his voice.

Galan bowed his head a little in acknowledgment of the statement. He had been aware that Enoch sought only to talk to the king but his father's sudden and unexpected condition had prevented him from meeting with him.

"He had wished to be here, unfortunately there was a matter that required his urgent attention and, knowing how important this meeting was, he sent me to be his proxy. He sends his sincere apologies and wants you to know that had he been able to attend, he would have." In Galan's voice was a persuasive mixture of apology and sincerity.

Enoch snorted, not quite appeased by Galan's words. He knew, however, that their conversation had to go on. The deal had to be closed today else the consequences could be dire. He had his Beta and his advisor with him. Just the three of them had travelled to the meeting so they would not arouse too much suspicion.

Galan and his team had done the same. He was with Reed and Otis, his childhood friends, Betas and bodyguards. He trusted them more than any other Lycans outside of his immediate family.

"The enemy is assembling their forces. I came here to pledge my allegiance to the Lycan King but if he does not deem it necessary to come himself then I may have to reconsider," Enoch snarled.

Galan felt his hackles rising and took a deep breath to control his rising anger. Enoch was the King of the Werewolves, thus making him less senior than Galan, who was the Crown Prince of the Lycans. That Enoch would dare show his disrespect and speak to him like this was something that he could have killed him for without a second thought. His father had, however, warned him not to. He knew Enoch well and knew too that he would push the buttons of his son.

Instead of snarling back, Galan smiled, his smile widening as he saw the frown of confusion of Enoch's face.

"Your allegiance has always been to the King and he expects nothing else, Enoch," he said smoothly. "We have a war coming. If you are not with us, then you are against us. Those are the only two options. So, state your position so I decide what happens next."

Galan's words were quietly said, his authority not stamped on them, but Enoch knew the power in them nonetheless. Despite his words, he had always been loyal to Tristan, Galan's father, and the Lycans. He had wanted to see what Galan would do and say. Galan's words had not been a threat and he was aware of that. They had simply been a statement of fact and his next words could determine whether or not he would see another day. An unexpected smile tweaked his lips and he killed it immediately. He would not show this young one his grudging respect. Not yet, at least. He grunted instead and turned away for a moment.

"I am with King Tristan," he said sourly. The way Galan's eyes narrowed showed him that he had not missed the wording. He was with Tristan, not necessarily with him. Not yet. Not until he earned his allegiance.

Galan nodded, showing no other expression. "How many of the other supernaturals are with us?" he asked.

"The Werewolves, Elves and Witches are all with us. The Nymphs, Fairies and Sprites are still sitting this one out. The Vampires are nowhere to be found."

"What of the Ogres?" Galan asked. He had expected the Nymphs, Fairies and Sprites to be fence sitters. They had never been warlike creatures. What they didn't understand was that when the war started, there would be no distinction made between the blood of the benevolent beings or the others. All blood would be spilt.