39 : Heartache and Spells

As Enoch's eyes met Leon's, a sizzle seemed to pass through the air. It was clearly evident that they were related. They could have been brothers. They had the same colouring, the same features, the same build.

"Who are you?" Marc asked from beside his brother.

"My name is Enoch. I am the King of the Werewolves," he said, looking intently at the boys. "I have been since I took over from my father ninety years ago."

"You look an awful lot like my brother and I," Marc said scratching his head.

"More than an awful lot," Leon said, his eyes narrowed. He looked at Victoria, who was studying them as well.

"My sister was pregnant at the time of her death--"

"That was a hundred years ago," Enoch interrupted her.

"With twins. They disappeared at the time of her death. We never found them," Victoria continued as though Enoch hadn't spoken.

"There is a way to find out," Rainey said. "A quick blood test ought to do it. Otis, please show our guests to the lab. It seems like we are all curious to know whether or not King Enoch here is indeed the father of these two young men."

Marc and Leon turned to look at Tempest, as though seeking her approval. Enoch frowned heavily and Tempest ignored him, nodding as she turned to follow Otis out the room. Leon and Marc came next and after a pause Enoch followed.

Galan, Aida, Samual, Tristan, Rainey, Adria, Liam and Victoria remained in the office. A thoughtful silence hung heavy in the air as they pondered what had just happened.

"Why would she have come back?" Adria asked.

"She left this world in one of the most brutal ways a person could leave," Victoria said softly.

"Our world is, by its nature, brutal," Tristan pointed out.

"Then maybe she had some unfinished business," Aida said. "And we need to find out what it is."

*

Tempest kept her eyes on Enoch as she waited for Leon and Marc to finish their bloodwork. Enoch was done and was pacing up and down in the sterile waiting room. It was a private room and they would not be disturbed until she was done with him.

"Did you kill her?" she asked him.

He froze and turned to glare at her, a ferocious scowl on his face. Then he sat down suddenly, as though his legs didn't want to support him anymore.

"I didn't. She was dead when I found her, " he finally said with a sigh. "Natasha and I met almost fifteen years after I lost my mate. She fascinated me right from the start. I knew it was wrong to want her but I couldn't get her out of my mind. She resisted at first but I was persistent. I wooed her and I didn't stop until she finally gave in. It was wrong. Both of us were in the wrong but I didn't care.

"We created opportunities. For five years our illicit relationship continued. We snuck around like love sick teenagers and we saw each other at every opening that presented itself."

Enoch stopped and sighed, his head hung low, his hands hanging between his legs.

"When she told me she was pregnant, I was ecstatic. She was sure it was mine and I was over the moon. I wanted her to leave Naoh and come with me but she refused. She said she needed time to think about what she wanted to do."

Enoch stood up and started pacing again. Tempest watched him without saying a word. She wanted for him to continue his narration, wanted to hear more. To possibly understand the history of her brothers. The more she listened, the more sure she became that a critical truth would be revealed soon.