Questions

His wondrous night with Cozy Glow left an impression on him. Her talk about serving her purpose was a statement that continued to baffle him through his lone walk back home.

In the passing days, Feather took long leaves from his work for time to observe Cozy at her job. From afar, he could watch Cozy's interactions with her students. Her class was filled with a diverse array of creatures that all bore an affinity for Cozy. Nothing out of the ordinary, knowing how charming of a mare she is.

However, there was an apparent oddity when it came to Cozy's interactions with the other staff. Whenever she spoke to them, it never seemed they gave their full attention. In fact, they were rather dismissive with Trixie recording notes of Cozy's assessment of her students and others like Scootaloo that allowed only a short conversation with her before excusing themselves.

And what was the strangest amongst all of it was how accepting Cozy was of their treatment.

Their passive disregard for Cozy pricked upon Feather's feelings and he showed no qualms in voicing it before them in private. They would all act that he was the one that was being abnormal. Even when he pushed them about dismissive behavior, they would assure that everything was fine. Each of them professed that this was how it was to be, for this was the future that Cozy brought to herself.

How did she cause this odd arrangement for herself? Why was there no creature willing to answer his questions? What are they hiding from him?

He could not stand the constant evasion from the staff, so he decided to take his curiosity to the highest order of the school. To the pony who first aroused this mystery.

"Come in," Feather heard the voice of mare after he knocked upon a door. Once he stepped inside, he found the headmare of the School of Friendship sorting through documents that were stacked upon her desk.

Her magic flowed the papers about as she skimmed and sorted them into multiple binders on her desk.

"You're here rather early," Starlight said as she continued sorting through her document. "Lunch is not until another three hours."

"Headmare Starlight," Feather started. He proceeded before the headmare's desk to focus his gaze that the headmare was clearly not paying attention to. "I don't know if this is an inconvenient time for you, but I have an important matter that I need to discuss with you."

It was at the point Starlight had stopped her sorting of documents and let out a sigh. "I see," Starlight said. "Then please, state your concerns."

"It's about Cozy Glow," Feather said.

"Yes," Starlight said. "She's been an ongoing topic that you have constantly addressed to my staff. As I am sure they have already told you, there is no need for any concerns. Managing a heavy number of students is a laborious task for my staff. With such a responsibility, it's understandable they would lack the time to slow down and relax. This is a big school we're running after all."

"But the way they act around her is so odd," Feather argued. "It's as though they were speaking with a robot. And then there were those strange things she said to me at the Amity Ball."

"She did?" Starlight perked at the stallion. "What did she say?"

"I'll tell you," Feather said. "But only if you comply with answering my questions. No more deflections. Just the truth."

The agitation on Starlight's face was evident. A heated sigh escaped her and then she spoke, "I will only answer what I can."

"No, Headmare Starlight," Feather refuted. "I need to know the whole truth. I want to know what's going on with Cozy Glow so I can help her. She's a very special pony to me."

"I can't do that, Feather," Starlight said. "There are limits to the amount of personal information that can be disclosed."

"...Is that really it?" Feather asked. "Throughout the months I've been with Cozy, I never heard any of you once talk about us. One would think that there was something going when two ponies meet together on a regular basis."

"We were respectful of your privacy."

"Or is it that you don't want to talk about it."

"That is an odd accusation to make," Starlight said. "Are you sure that you're not overthinking things."

"Fine then," Feather said. "Then I'll just put everything out on the table then. As you already, Cozy used to be troubled filly in the past. She had involved herself with the most despicable creatures to walk the lands of Equestria nearly led to the liberation of our homeland. But now, she has reformed herself and became an inspiring teacher that educates young minds of the correct ideas of friendship."

"I'm well aware of this," Starlight said. "I am the one who hired her after all."

"However, there are things she has said that have given me uncomfortable vibes. At the ball, she mentioned that she was playing her role. A role that was given to her."

"She said that..."

"There was also a moment when she told me about a memory she couldn't remember vividly. Only feelings that one wouldn't be fond of. Yet despite how horrible it must be, she wants to hold on to it because according to her, it makes her feel real."

The headmare sat appalled about by this information. Her teeth bit upon the tip of her hoof as she appeared to be juggling through her mind. But that's not where Feather wanted it to be.

"Headmare Starlight," Feather voiced. "I shared with you my concerns. I need you to give me answers."

Feather wanted answers, but instead, Starlight sighed and leaned back upon her chair. "Just as I thought. I can't do it."

"You can't!?" Feather raised his voice. A growing ire fumed out of him. "Why is it so hard to just say it!? It's obvious that you know what's going on! Why won't you tell me!?"

"Because I'm not the one who should bear this burden!" Starlight snapped, stunning the stallion. "I..." Starlight stopped herself to breathe and collect composure. "I understand that you have many questions. However, I don't believe I'm the right pony to answer them. Rather, it belongs to the pony that set it all in motion."

"Who do you mean?"

"The pony who tried endlessly to reform her, Princess Twilight."