Compliance

Click, Click, Click

Klang

Feather picked a paper from a typewriter at the finishing dial. He placed it atop his office desk and basked upon the draft that would expose the irredeemable crime of the Princess abetted by her friends and the parents of Cozy Glow. Never has his hooves rushed with such a burning passion, specifying the sacrilegious confessions of the Princess's misdeeds.

With a relieved sigh, Feather leaned back on his chair. A story as groundbreaking as this was sure to attract the attention of all creatures across the lands. The Ponyville Weekly may have to expand its horizons after the overwhelming subscribers he expects to gain.

His predecessor will be proud to see his company rise above the media. The future of the company would be bright...but what of Cozy's...

Would she be given her justice from the Princess's hypocrisy? Would creatures call the Princess's leadership into question and potentially remove her from the throne? At first, it felt good to think the Princess would receive her just punishment, but as his fantasies began to quell, he had to consider the fate of Equestria should another danger arise. Without the Princess to guide them, could they really prevail? No, her role should not excuse her of the travesty she committed.

But perhaps, nothing would come of it.

He then wondered about Cozy's students. When his story is printed to the press, how would they feel when they learn the truth about the teacher they adore? To learn that the pony that they've all looked up was a lie made in the Princess's machination.

Would this destroy Cozy's relationship with them? Would all the bonds she has made be broken? They wouldn't discard her away, would they?

He then heard a pair of knocks on his door. Feather immediately hid his drafter into his drawer before he responded, "Come in." He gaped upon a mare that entered his office. "Cozy Glow? Shouldn't you be at the school right now?"

"I should," Cozy admitted. "But our daily lunchtime had passed and you didn't show up."

"Lunchtime?" Feather said. "Oh, right!? I've completely forgotten. I'm so sorry, I got caught up in some personal business and couldn't just leave it alone."

"Is that true?" Cozy asked. She stepped before his desk and leaned in towards him. "It's not because you've lost interest in me, right?"

"What? Why would you think that?"

"It's just that we've been together for so long now," Cozy confessed. "Our talks in the lounge have been so uplifting to me. I feel this sense of freedom that I never get from any pony. But after our time at the Amity Ball. I don't know. I just feel that you've become distant from me like I'm scaring you away. I didn't say anything wrong, did I?" A crack poured out her voice followed by a stream of tears. The very first pair that Feather has even seen her let out.

"Woah, Woah, Woah," Feather repeated and then raised from his seat to console the mare in his grasp. Her bubble gum scent enticed his snout. "You're overthinking things. I've just been distracted, that's all."

"I'm sorry," Cozy apologized. "I just felt so overwhelmed with fear when you didn't come. We may have only known for some months, but our time at the lounge feels like years to me. I don't think I've felt this way for any other creature...Is this what love is?"

Feather perked in utter shock of Cozy's suggestion. His heart sped, ravaging with anticipation if Cozy had finally realized what he'd come to know. That the two were meant for each other. Together, they would live a life of bliss. At a house, with at least two foals, waking to the beguile of each other every morning. That was the future the two deserved, to become a happy family.

"I think this is what Twilight expected when I spoke with her months ago," Cozy said.

"...What?" Feather gently pushed Cozy away from him. Her eyes gleamed in a deep pink light that shimmered his shaded office.

"I don't think I've ever mentioned this," Cozy started. "But every month I would always report to the Princess to update her about my goings in life. She was so happy when I told her about our lunch meetings. She even wished me good luck for us to become close. At first, I thought she meant about our friendship. But now, I think I know what she was talking about."

"You met with the Princess..." Feather began to realize the reality of predicament. Of the coming of his relationship with Cozy that has sparked into this blissful conclusion. The Princess, she did it again. For him.

"Featherweight," Cozy called to him. "Do you think...that maybe we could be something more?"

...Cozy had once lived a life of darkness. She was confused, where no creature could pull her out. Then came the Princess that cleansed her of that darkness, but along with it was herself.

What came of it was the Cozy that he's come to know. The only Cozy he has ever known. And here she stands, finally professing her love to him. This was all he ever wanted, so why should he think any more than that?

"I would like that..."