003. an awaited confrontation

THE AVATAR'S BIG SISTER 2.

── ♢ ♢ ♢ ── 

𝐓𝐇𝐄 next morning, Unalaq had decided that he was going to take Korra to a trip to the South Pole as part of her training. But, of course, being the concerned older sister I was, I decided to tag along, just in case.

I lifted up a heavy bag of supplies and attempted to throw it over Naga. I yelped painfully as my ribs started to sting again, the bag helplessly dropping onto the ground. 

"Woah, there! I got it." I looked up and smiled gratefully as Iroh hurriedly walked over and easily grabbed the enormous bag, putting it on the polar bear-dog's saddle.

I tiredly sighed, resting my hand against the beast's soft fur. "Thank the Spirits, I didn't think I could get that stupid bag over her anytime soon."

His lips curved up to a small smile before instantly dropping with concern. "Didn't Katara advise you to rest up?"

"Ah, did she?" I murmured sheepishly, rubbing the back of my neck, which caused him to roll his eyes and frown unapprovingly. 

"Katrina —-"

My bottom lips jutted out with a quiet huff. "Okay, okay, yes she did. But, I just couldn't let my little sister just go on some trip to the South Pole with—with him!"

I shooted a bitter glare towards Unalaq before turning back to a confused Iroh, lowering my voice into a hushed whisper. "Alright, look. I have this speculation, if you will, about him regarding a certain part of my fun-filled childhood. Say that I'm overreacting, but I'm just very suspicious of that man and I want answers."

He hummed, leaning back to his normal composure. "Would it be insensitive to ask what's this certain event about?"

"Very," I quickly asserted with head nod. "I just know he's a bad man, even my father knows it too! Uncle really has this horrible hatred for him. It was something he had done in the past, but unfortunately that's secret I can't tell you as well. I promised my father."

The roar of a snowmobile suddenly approached from behind. I looked over with surprise to see a familiar figure as he stopped his vehicle. "Dad?" 

Unalaq scowled and stormed up to him, with me curiously following behind. "Tonraq, what do you want?"

"I heard you're taking Korra and Katrina to the South Pole," he answered, getting off his snowmobile with a stern glare. "I'm coming."

Unalaq snarled, "You're a distraction and a hindrance to what needs to be done."