CHAPTER 1- PEACE & PRESSURE

I had always wanted to walk on water. But then again, the chances of that happening were zero, and I never learned how to swim. There's was a lot I didn't get the opportunity to learn and a lot more I wish I hadn't.

The park was a relaxation centre for people, but it was a tranquility zone for me. I'd been coming here since I was a kid. Since then, it had been my safe haven. It was where I could come and play pretend like childhood days. Except now, I was pretending that reality didn't exist. Beside me were some children building sand castles and their faces lit up as they did. The golden brown shade of the sand twinkled as the sun shone brightly on it.

I remember what it felt like to be a child- To not have any cares or worries. I desperately wanted to be a child again. But then again, it was as impossible as me walking on water.

I was distracted by the beeping of my phone in my back pocket. It was two thirty in the afternoon and that meant my break was over. I take in one last breath of the fresh park air before leaving. I worked at a cafè as a sales person. It isn't the greatest job and it doesn't have the best pay but it's what I need if I'm going to save up to leave this town. Or atleast I'd hope so.

**

"2:35pm. You're late!"

I glanced at the lady standing akimbo behind the counter, wearing a scowl on her face. That's Betty Berkins, owner (who in actual sense is the co-owner) of Berkins Cafè. The store is actually owned by her father, Benny Berkins, but on some days, she takes over supervision. She was the same age as me, but she acted as if she were the boss of all of us. To say she was unpleasant was the understatement of the century. Couldn't blame her though, she was a chip off the old block.

"I'm only five minutes late, Betty. My break does end by two thirty" I smiled through my teeth, barely being able to hold it up long enough till I finished the sentence.

"Don't you talk back at me!" She glared. Yes, her death glares were quite famous in this cafè. And it scared the shit out of all of the employees. It didn't scare me though. I'd seen worse, trust me.

"I wasn't even--" I sighed in exasperation. "Nevermind."

Knowing this conversation would lead no where, I decided I'd rather get into my next shift than continue. I made my way to the back room, where all our lockers were located. I put in the locker combination and got my pills.

I call them pressure pills. I'd been taking them for as long as I could remember. They help me stay calm and rescue me from numerous internal explosions and meltdowns throughout the day. I needed them especially when I worked here.

"Takin' those pills again I see."

I was startled and ended up spilling the pills all over the floor. Before I could pick them all up and stuff them back into the container, Wade's foot squished them right before my eyes.

"They're no good for you"

As if he of all people knew what was good for me. And besides, it's not like I'm addicted or anything. Atleast, not that much.

"Mind your own business, Wade" I seethed.

You see, Wade is my co-worker and a thorn in my flesh. I'd been working here only eight months and he already latched on to me like a parasite. People call him "The Southern Spice" in town, especially the ladies, because apparently he had charm.

Don't get me wrong. He wasn't horrible looking. He stood tall at five foot nine with a really good build. His baby blue eyes were what he considered to be his best feature. Well, that and his dirty blond ponytail. Now that was what brought the money home. Well, that and his strong southern accent. But well, you get my point.

"I would, but you happen to be a part of it darlin'" He smirked which only made me roll my eyes. "I'm having a party tonight. I want you to come."

"Not interested, Wade." I answered flatly. I wasn't the social type, let alone party type. Ever since high school graduation, I'd managed to keep a low profile. And I wasn't about to get involved in anything that would blow that up.

He curled up his lips into a pout in an attempt to persuade me but I only shut my locker and headed towards the main Cafè.

"You're a mystery, Fel!" He called out from behind me. (My name's actually Felicia but he somehow only chooses to call me Fel. The nerve on this guy)

"Thanks for the compliment, Wade!" I replied sarcastically, slamming the door behind me.

The afternoon shift was usually really slow, compared to the evening shift. By then, the Cafè would be so packed that there was barely enough of us to attend to all the demanding customers. So far, the only customer we've had was an old man and his six year old son who didn't order much but coffee and doughnuts. Unlike me, the other employees were engaged in some sort of activity; Wade was talking to Flora, who apparently had jumped on the "Southern spice" train and looked consumed in her conversation with him, Linda was beside me at the counter reading a fashion magazine and Johnny, the cleaner, was mopping the floor in the backroom.

**

My shifts for the day were finally done, with the evening being more hectic than usual. I had taken on double shifts because I wanted to make the extra cash, and plus I really wanted to get out of the house. You might be wondering why a High school graduate isn't yet in College. Well, here's the thing. I found out along the lines of my final days in High school that College wasn't for me. Not the normal college though, but it was my dream to be a big fashion designer, but that would involve going to an actual fashion college for actual training in that area. I had wanted to go so bad but I couldn't because of lack of sponsorship.

I know, I know, you'd be wondering where my parents are in the picture. Well, they could care less about whatever I did with my life. And I didn't care whatever the hell they did with theirs.

It was a slow drive from work to my apartment. The big building of apartments where I stayed was really popular in our area of Nashville. It was the only one constructed in the town by one well known, Bill McConnory and McConnory construction companies. It wasn't all that fancy because it had been ages since it was renovated. The paint was wearing out, more and more people had begun to leave due to low maintenance and frankly, it looked out-of-date. But despite the state of the building, the owner was too selfish and proud to do anything about it.

Second floor, Apartment B201. It was the very first you'd see when you got on the floor(yes, there were no elevators in this dump). I wanted to reach for my keys, but I noticed the door slightly ajar.

"Mom?" I called out.

There was no answer.

I was starting to get agitated as I moved round the apartment with still no trace of my mom. I could smell her perfume though, it was still fresh which meant it hadn't been long since she left. I sat down on the couch, exasperared when I spotted a crumpled sticky note on the table beside a spilled over bottle of pills and alcohol. It read:

Off to Michael's! Don't wait up for me.. Wait, scratch that, don't wait for me at all. Will be back eventually!

"Typical", I scoffed.

••••••••••