XVII

Tessa's POV

"Ben?  Hey Klaus have you seen Ben?"  I ask while looking around for the leather jacket wearing ghost.

"Kitchen,"  Klaus mumbles half drunk on the couch with his face in a pillow.  I go up to him and take the vodka out of his hand.  He quickly scrambles up and whines for it back.

"No no no, I need that Tess, the world's ending today!  The least you can do is let me go out in peace,"  he whines some more.  I shake my head, not giving into his desperate puppy dog eyes.

"Nope sorry bro we need you.  But here-for your troubles,"  I had him a flower crown, identical design to the numerous other ones I've made him.  He looks at me while pouting as he reluctantly grabs it and puts it on his head.

I wander into the kitchen and see Ben sitting at the table looking out the window.  I walk up behind him, unintentionally startling him and causing him to jump.

"Sorry-sorry I didn't mean to,"  I apologize.

"No it's okay, I'm just- a little on edge right now,"  he says truthfully.  I mean I don't blame him.  Today supposedly is our last day alive unless we stop it, that could be a real stress on one's shoulders.

"How are you feeling?"  I ask as I sit down next to him, putting a reassuring hand on his shoulder as I do.  He lets out a heavy sigh and redirects his gaze to the world outside the window.

"Okay... I guess?"  He says, clearly holding something back.  I give him a moment to find the right words because I know there's more on his mind that he needs to let out.

"It's just- I've been dead for 17 years.  All this time I've been powerless.  I haven't even been able to talk to my family and now I'm supposed to help stop the apocalypse?  It just doesn't make sense- I don't know how to do that!"  He continues, his voice straining by the frustration and unknown.  I understand what he's saying.  I've also been wondering what Reginald meant by working together.  Sure we're both powerful but like he said...he's dead.  

We sit in a comfortable silence for a few moments until a supressed memory from my childhood floats back into my mind.  It was a day back in December when it was snowing.  I remember the cold wind and light snow shower we were suprised with when I walked into the courtyard after my training.  The coldness of the air made me feel so refreshed and alive, I just ran through the yard kicking up snow and spinning in circles.  I think that was the only time I had ever felt like a normal child.  Just an ordinary girl enjoying the snow, waiting for Santa Claus to come in a few days bearing gifts and toys.  I stayed out there for hours until Grace called me in for dinner.  But before I went in, I had been looking for rocks and acorns in the snow when I came across a small baby sparrow.  He was frozen and lifeless but I was so little I didn't fully understand the concept of life and death.  I knew he was cold and tired so I cradled him in my arms and tried to keep him warm.  A few moments later, he's chirping in my hands and his tiny heart is beating once again.  He flies off and I sit there mesmorized by the creature who just took off from my palms.  I wonder if...

"Ben do you trust me?"  I blurt out, turning to him suddenly.  He looks a little startled and terribly confused.

"Yes?"  he says as a question, a little weary of whatever thought might be running through my brain.  Still a little bit unsure of my own actions, I take both his hands in mine.  He turns to me with wide eyes, sort of terrified of what might happen.  I mean, I am notorious for setting things on fire so his concern is understandable.

"Okay, just relax.  Trust me on this okay?  Close your eyes and just breathe."  I watch him as he hesitates at first, but then slowly closes his eyes and relaxes his features.  I follow pursuit and gently shut my eyes as I focus on that one day deep within my childhood.  That feeling of the cold lifeless animal in my palm resonates and reflects in Ben's hands.  The absence of warmth from a body that hasn't had a heartbeat in 17 years slowly starts seeping into me, in exchange for the soothing pulse I'm sending back into him.  I wince slighty as I feel a little bit of life leave my soul and float into Ben.  His hands become warmer and more life like, different from his usual clammy and frozen skin.  My concentration is interrupted as I hear the sound of glass breaking from across the room.  Ben and I quickly open our eyes only to be met with a shocked Diego surrounded by broken shards of his coffee mug.

"Ben?  How is that- he was just there-"  he stutters, his eyes not leaving the chair beside me.  

"Wait you saw him?"  I ask not bothering to mask the excitement and accomplishent in my voice.  Diego slowly nods his head trying not to let the tears fall out, as Ben stands up and looks at me.

"Holy shit. Oh my god, I felt- I felt it Tessa.  I felt...alive,"  he says, his smile becoing brighter and brighter with every word as he continues to stare at his hands, inspecting them as if they were foreign.  He races towards Diego and starts frantically waving his hands, but Diego continues to see right through him.  His features fall slightly at the realization.

"Hey hey, it's okay.  Now we know what we can do together," I say as I pat his arm reassuringly.  Diego tilts his head at the sight of me just consoling the air in front of him.  

"Please Tessa, can you do it again?  Just for a second? I- I haven't seen him in so long,"  Diego whispers desperately.  The sight of Diego crumbling made me want to melt.  I've never seen him like this.  I grab Ben's hand and replay the exact actions from only moments earlier.  Ben keeps flickering in and out of reality.  I watch as Diego's eyes shift into a sense of love and longing as he sees his brother standing in front of him.

"Hey Diego,"  Ben says as his words are also laced with longing.  Diego doesn't say anything but instead engulfs him in a hug that has been pent up for so long.  Ben hugs him back with his free hand and burys his head in Diego's shoulder, trying to hide the tears.  I myself am getting watery eyed.  I keep my hand in Ben's but the longer I do, the weaker I feel.  I begin to feel light headed and my vision starts spotting so I stumble slightly, still keeping contact with Ben.

"Woah woah, Tess you alright?"  Ben asks.  I nod my head telling them to continue, trying to give them as much time as possible.

"Hey, you don't look so good Tess.  It's okay to let go,"  Diego says and nods as he takes my other hand to steady me.  I let go of Ben's hand, watching as his glowing aura quickly dies down back to his cold tint.  Diego glances at the air next to him, his features dropping slighty before he turns back to me.

"I shouldn't have asked you to do that-"

"Diego,"  I interrupt him, "I'd do it a thousand more times if it means you guys get to see each other again."  He smiles at me and squeezes my hand as a sense of gratitude.  Both him and Diego guide me to sit down at the table as he hands me a cup of water.  I quietly sip on it as the rest of the family suddenly comes barreling in.

"We have to go now!"