Chapter 6

[A/N:] Just a warning, this chapter starts off in 3rd person, then switches to Luke's PoV halfway through, so please be aware of that.

Oh, and i mention the word 'truckie', so for all you non-australians, 'truckie' is slang for truck driver

And the pic is what Michael looks like when he comes out of the cafeteria… it'll make sense i swear (and he looks so hot hoLY SHIT)

*

Michael hadn’t slept at all last night.

He was preoccupied with research until the early hours of the morning, only realizing what he’d done when the Friday morning sun shone through his bedroom window.

One look at the time had him jumping up, covering every inch of his body in deodorant, getting dressed and swearing profusely. Once ready enough, he raced down the stairs, yelled a greeting to his mother, grabbed whatever food was on the bench, then ran out the front door to his car.

Michael lives outside of the school zone, meaning it takes about 25 minutes to get to and from school… on a good run, that is.

But it was when he was about halfway there, he realized that the ‘random item of food’ he had grabbed off of the kitchen counter, was a loaf of uncut bread… which ultimately lead him to pulling over and smacking his head repeatedly on the steering wheel.

So after sitting by himself in an empty car on the side of some nameless road, he had come to the epiphany that, yes, he had unknowingly spent the entirety of first period in a self hatred filled daze while holding a loaf of bread.

Which brought him here. Macdonald’s. Eating three bacon and egg breakfast McMuffin’s and drinking a chocolate thick shake because he’s hungry, he’s fed up and Macdonald’s is awesome.

And he’s wagging the first half of the day anyway because honestly, fuck school.

Obviously he wants to ditch the whole day, but he’s been threatened with expulsion too many times because of his tardiness, so one more significantly notable problem would get his ass kicked out. And Michael knows that if that happened, his mum would blow her top, and he’d really rather avoid the possibility of having to live with the female hulk.

Scrunching his nose in distaste at that thought, he stuffs the remaining McMuffin into his mouth and wipes his hands on his serviette before throwing away his rubbish. He pulls out his phone to check the time, only to be greeted by a text from Erin telling him that skipping school, getting expelled and becoming a ‘truckie’ is not punk rock and that he needs to get his ass to class.

He chuckles because that rhymed, then proceeds to shove his phone in his pocket. When he gets back to his car he checks the time on the dashboard because forgot to check the time on his phone and he can’t be bothered getting it out of his pocket again. 11:02am. Perfect.

Knowing he was going to wag the first couple of periods, Michael took a detour and drove further away to go to his local MacDonald’s instead of the one closer to school. He doesn’t know why, it just felt right.

So he’s about 30-35 minutes away from the education-filled nightmare. Trying to make it to the 11:40 class is cutting it a bit fine, but at least he’s even bothering to show up.

***

Michael felt pretty damn pleased with himself when he showed up to school at about 11:30, but walking into the cafeteria has him eyeing everyone and everything extremely warily.

Everyone was deadly silent. Everyone was deadly still.

There was an eerie feel in the atmosphere that settled on Michael and it felt as if a human had figured out how to tamper with supernatural power, except there was a slight warmth and colour to the air. Nothing human could’ve done this; it’s far too powerful.