chapter 03

My fingers drummed against the desk during second hour. They tapped, tapped, tapped, until the speed was so fast I almost surprised myself with a newfound talent.

I was a little anxious.

Carter had been beyond excited during first hour, talking about how he had a plan ready to go and that I was going to be "hella surprised". I wasn't that good with surprises, especially when it came to Carter and his lack of consideration for surroundings. It was a good thing to not care what others thought, but Carter was something else.

So far it was okay. There was a dull buzz of chatter and sounds of crinkling wrappers since most people used second hour as breakfast time. My tapping slowed as I skimmed my surroundings once more and inhaled.

Everything was fine.

Harmonious bells rattled the room, a sign of the announcements starting, and the idle chat stopped. My eyes instinctively darted towards the speaker as a voice pierced through static.

"Good morning, Ravens! Hope everyone is off to a great start! Today we'll begin with the weather announcements and--wait, Carter? What are--" I felt my eyes flash open at that familiar name before a rustling noise shook the speakers. "Whoa, hang on, you can't--"

Feedback blasted through the room before a honeyed voice took over. "Hey, hey, everyone! It's me, Carter, and I have a very special announcement to make. Drum roll, please." His tapping was faster than mine had been as he amped up the anticipation. I could almost envision his dimpled cheeks as he spoke the next words. "Dite is now my girlfriend so be sure to congratulate her! And--"

Oh my God.

I felt eyes flash in my direction, some with expressions of amusement, others with shock, and my own? Let's just say I hadn't been this red since I'd visited the pyramids without sunscreen.

"Ok, ok, yes, I'm leaving--" After a second or two, he added as quickly as he could, "bye babe!" Then he really was done and I assumed someone was hauling him off to detention for the rest of his life. After a few moments of silence, a cough echoed throughout the school.

"So, um, anyway..." The original voice started before delving into the original planned program. And if you were wondering, the weather announcements predicted a high of morbid embarrassment and a low of staying under the radar.

My classmates finally began to tear their gazes away.

Hands rose to clasp my flaming cheeks and, despite feeling as flustered as I was, the corners of my lips slowly curled into a kiddish grin.

♥ ♥ ♥

Walking through the cafeteria was going to be tough. I'd already gotten tons of stares in the hallways, but now I was facing a sea of drama-thirsty teenagers who all had their eyes set on me.

I let myself inhale once before prepping myself for that first step, but a sudden tug on a hanging jacket sleeve brought that to an abrupt halt. My eyes flashed up and Carter met them with a huge beam.

"Hey," he said, his voice now clearer and closer than it'd been in second hour.

"Do I know you?"

His eyes crinkled at me. "Awe, c'mon, mi reina."

My face twirled towards him in surprise at the new pet name. Something about the way he'd said it was almost entrancing and his pointed eyes only added to that effect as his face came close.

"What does that mean?"

Carter threw me a grin before holding his hand out in my direction. "My queen."