chapter 04

Although it wasn't ideal, most parties took place in the dorms. Since it was a boarding school and all, there wasn't really anywhere else to go, so the general rule was that we would be loud but not loud enough to get caught.

I stared at the looming door in front of us. The thumps of music were vague from the other side and Carter tossed me an encouraging look. "You ready?"

I gave a firm nod. 

This night was going to be fun, I told myself. I was going to make it fun. 

He pushed the door open and the air turned hot.

 "We brought vodka!" Carter shouted, gesturing towards my backpack he wore. He'd forgotten to bring one over and we didn't want to get caught with a bottle outside, so I'd let him borrow a white backpack with pink flowers splattered all over. 

A few people turned in our direction and held up their beers. "Hell yeah!"

As we made our way through the small crowd, some would come up and say hi with bright red beams on their faces. I would give a goofy grin back, mostly because I was already a little tipsy, but Carter would swing his arm around my shoulder and keep the conversations going. 

Once we found a spot in the kitchen, Carter leaned towards my ear. "You probably know everyone in here, huh, Miss Maker?"

"Hey," I laughed before hitting him on the chest. "Don't make me sound weird."

He threw me a grin before taking out the handle. "So? Third shot?" 

Before I said yes, the familiarity of a song struck my ears. I couldn't remember the name, but I could remember how much Jase had loved playing it at parties. He'd always mix the strongest alcohols into a cup and chase it with a beer while screaming the rap part from the top of his lungs. The worst part? He'd pass out and I would get stuck staying with him in a stranger's dorm. He'd never considered my feelings, and I could never drink because I was too busy taking care--

"Dite?" 

Carter's voice brought me back and I blinked at him.

With a crooked smile, he pushed the bottle away. "You don't have to take one if you don't want."

"No!" I said frantically. "I'm going to! Cleansing ritual!"

My hands wrapped around the handle's neck as I brought it up. I don't know how long I kept it at my lips, but it didn't taste as bad anymore. After a few more seconds, I heard Carter murmur in awe. 

"Oh shit."

He was about to take it from me before I slammed it on the counter. My vision swayed a little as I took a step, but Carter was there to steady me. As he looked down at me, his face seemed fuzzy, and maybe a little blurry, but soft. He didn't notice as I reached out to touch his cheek and his hand suddenly wrapped around mine.

"Wanna dance?" He asked, his eyes shining. 

So we did. We danced for a long time, mostly in groups to ridiculous throwback songs, and I felt lighter than I'd felt in a long time. The intrusive thoughts of Jase had all disappeared and the present moment consumed me in a heated flare of fun. People I'd never spoken to made me laugh so hard my cheeks began to hurt. 

I let my head dangle as I swayed. Fairy lights hung from the walls, floating like orbs as I stared up at them in a daze.

"Ok, Dite," Carter said, his hand pressing onto my lower back. "It's time for you to get some fresh air."

I nodded along as he guided me to the patio on the other side of the room. Cold air prickled against my face before Carter reached over my shoulder to close the door behind me. My eyes skimmed over Carter's collarbone before tracing his shoulders and arms as he backed away.