chapter 05

"Guess what?" Emily said suddenly. 

Red swept across her cheeks as her dimples deepened, and she began to sway in anticipation. I shot her a beam. "What?"

"Nala knows when she's coming back!"

Uneasiness settled in my stomach as I flashed my head in Carter's direction. His arms splashed the water without a care, laughter following as another boy decided to attack from behind and drag him under the surface. My eyes widened for a moment until the two popped back up. Carter shook his hair like a dog, causing water drops to fly around his head like a sprinkler.

Then he caught my eye for just a second before I turned back to Emily. 

"Oh, really? When?" I tried to keep the nervousness out of my voice as I asked. I didn't know how Nala would react to the news, especially since she'd always been a bit intimidating. In the hallways, she moved with grace and confidence, like she had things to do. The only times I ever talked to her were around Seidon and she seemed a little less intense with him. 

I didn't really want to make her my enemy, but Carter was my friend now and we had a deal.

"She's coming back during homecoming," Emily said, excitement dripping from every word. "She said she'll try to make it towards the end." 

"Well, that'll be fun! I'm happy you guys get to enjoy it together."

"Me too! We should go together and meet up with her when she gets there. You're going with Carter, right?" 

When I looked back at the pool, Carter was already facing me. He gave a cute smile.

I couldn't help but give one back. 

"Yes."

Carter had begun walking back with us after practice. I'm not sure when the habit started, but Seidon didn't seem to mind and having Carter next to me wasn't so bad, either. 

"Did you guys know Nala is coming back soon?" I asked, kicking a stray pebble out of the path. 

Seidon paused, then leaned over to scramble a towel over his dark hair. "I think during homecoming, right?"

I gave a nod before realizing that my brother couldn't see. "Yeah."

"Homecoming!" Carter suddenly shouted, also stopping in his tracks. When I glanced up at him, his glazed eyes were frantic. "I totally forgot!"

Before I could say anything, Carter snatched the towel from Seidon, whom of which glanced up in utter confusion. "Sorry, Dite! I'm gonna borrow Seidon for a second."

"Wait, what--" he started.

I didn't hear what else he had to say before Carter was dragging him far away and I stood in the middle of the grounds alone and confused. 

"All by myself..." I hummed with a sigh. 

Our dorm looked so far away now that I was alone. 

♥ ♥ ♥

Carter was like a firework. During first hour, I could see how enthused he was with the way his leg kept bouncing up and down. He would glance down at his phone and give a childish grin before flashing his head my way and winking.

Of course, I had no idea what was going through his mind, as usual. 

"Carter," I'd whispered from across the aisle. "Are you okay?"

"Just meet me in the cafeteria for lunch. Promise?"

And so here I was, standing at the front doors of our meeting place, heart hammering in my chest like a drum set. I had a slight suspicion that his excitement had to do with homecoming, but I didn't want to get my hopes, or fears, up.