17. Freddie

The smell of weed clings to the air as Ayla stretches her legs over the side of the armchair. Her knees crack and her calf begins cramping up painfully. That was what you got for sleeping in a tattered old chair in a cold shed after a rough night. After Ayla had gotten home from Panda's party around 1am she found the whole house was locked up. She tried calling Katie and Emily neither of whom picked up and spent at least 15 minutes knocking on the front door for someone to let her in. All to no prevail.

It was winter in Bristol and freezing to the bone Ayla had texted Freddie that she was gonna crash in his shed. He didn't care much at all, so she walked down the street to Freddie's house which was very close to hers and crashed at his. After a mere 4 hours of sleep, she had been awoken by the bright sun which streamed in through the windows and cracks in the roof. 

Ayla hears Karen and Freddie arguing from inside the house and hears the back door slam shut. She can hear Freddie talking to someone just outside the shed but can't make out who over the gentle bird noises. She hopes she's just hallucinating it but nope, a minute or so later in waltzes Freddie followed by Effy whose expression drops the second she sees Ayla. She probably got the wrong idea as to why Ayla had stayed the night. Freddie nods to Ayla in greeting as Effy walks past him and starts fiddling with all the bits and bobs of the shed.

"So, this is it. The shed," Freddie says. He refrains from explaining to Effy that Ayla was just there as a friend, so as to potentially make Effy somewhat jealous.

"So what do you and the boys do in here? Braid each other's hair and play soggy biscuit?" asks Effy turning back around to face Freddie. She had made a valid assumption, considering the room smelt like weed and cum.

"No... not for ages." Freddie chuckles lightly. Ayla watches as Freddie eyes Effy down as she  picks up a large bottle of yellow liquid and shakes it around.

"What the fuck's this?"

"You know, sometimes, when we're... we're too stoned to... go outside..." Freddie begins, scratching his head in embarrassment. Effy drops the bottle in disgust. "I'm sorry. I wasn't really expecting guests."

"What do you normally do? Put out doilies?" asks Ayla. Neither of them reply as if she wasn't even there. Effy and Freddie sit down, sharing a spliff.

"Thanks for letting me in. I know it's weird." Effy smiles, glancing over at Ayla. "It's just... Seems like a good place to hide."

"From what?" Ayla buts in. On queue Cook barges through the door followed by JJ.

"You'll never guess what just happened. This skinny Asian fucker was at the Green" Cook bellows, bashing the punching bag aggressively in the corner, not having noticed Ayla or Effy. JJ tries to calm him down so as to notice who was in the room. "He's got a little sign saying "Anwar the Magnificent", right?". Was Anwar still in Bristol thought Ayla? "He's busking. So I says to him if I can join in..." Cook punches more aggressively. Effy looks at Freddie uncomfortably, trying to find support in his gaze.

"So I says..." Cook trails off as he turns around from the punching bag and looks at the three of them. "Well, blow bubbles up my bollocks and call me Shirley." He snatches the spliff off Freddie and sits down looking at the three of them. Ayla was a little flustered, the last she had seen of Cook being in the cupboard. She had no idea Cook and Freddie had spoken about her last night.

"Welcome to our fortress of solitude!" JJ says flinging his arms into the air in welcome, trying to ease the tension.

-

Cook sits on the corner of Effy's armchair, gazing down at her as she rolls her eyes at the fact he had to sit so close. Ayla hugs her knees up to her chest, wanting to leave but not wanting to show she is uncomfortable.

"I think I love the Sexxbombz." JJ rants. Ayla listens to him intently, trying to keep her mind off the tension which had settled in the room the second Cook had arrived. "Karen's costume last night was a bit of a marvel. I'm pretty sure it defied the laws of physics. I mean, that tiny amount of material is surely not able to cover the requisite surface area for UK broadcasting laws." JJ looks over to Ayla, pleased to see she is listening. She is the only one who is. "Did you see it, Ayla?"

"Yeah," Ayla replies, looking JJ dead in the eye which made him blush. It was as if a girl had never looked at him before.

"That skirt was so short I saw her bumhole wink," Cook confirms, playing with Effy's hair. JJ claps his hands together, grabbing everyone's attention. Here came a magic trick.

"Pass the spliff, Freddiebrek." JJ smiles, showing off his braces. Hesitantly, Freddie passes it to him. "Don't worry, I've perfected it," JJ reassures him, putting the spliff between his lips and without using his hands flipping it back into his mouth. Cook laughs as JJ's eyes start watering, his mouth burning.

"Water. Water" he yells desperately picking up the bottle of piss as its the only liquid in sight.

"J! No, don't!" Ayla turns her nose up in disgust as JJ chugs down the piss. As quick as lightning JJ grabs a lighter out of his pocket, lights it and opens his mouth. A monstrous flame flares from the lighter, making Effy and Ayla scream in shock.

"Fucking Genius!" Cook yells in hysterics, clapping loudly. The girls are too shocked to say a word.

"How long have you had that planted there?" Freddie says in awe, gulping with shock.

"About eight months." JJ chuckles replies, proud of himself.

"Fucking genius. That's fucking tip toparoo." Cook says standing up as the rest of the laugh, lifting the tension for a split second. "After all this excitement, I fancy a spunk. You coming, Eff?" Cook asks, somewhat confusing Ayla considering how had acted at Panda's.  "You soon will be." Freddie looks like he is about to say something but sustains himself. There it is was again. The tension. 

"I'd sooner fuck JJ," Effy replies bluntly, confusing Cook.

"That isn't intended as a compliment. But I'm going to take it as one anyway." JJ says looking down at the ground smiling.

"Maybe you didn't get it." Cook chuckles. "Are you coming, Eff? You soon will be." Effy stands up, sighing at Cooks obliviousness.

"I got it. Freddie, Ayla and JJ got it. That termite over there got it. But you're not going to get it. Got it?"

"No... I'm confused."

"I'm not going anywhere near your Crayola dick. I know where it's been." Effy replies flinching.

"What's she talking about?" JJ stutters. Effy raises her eyebrows and turns to face them all, looking at Ayla in particular as if to take a dig at her.

"Cookie played twister with Panda last night after everyone left". Cook doesn't say anything as Ayla's eyes dart up Cook. Effy turns back towards Cook, looking slightly upset herself. "Fun?".

"Piss off. This is our place, right? If you're not going to shag us, then fuck off" Cook points towards the door. Effy looks at Freddie, expecting him to stick up for her, which he doesn't. At this she scoffs and walks out the shed door. Freddie stands up and goes after her without hesitation.

"Mate, try and stir my porridge if you want but I'd say even J's got a better chance than you." Cook walks up to him. "I mean, when was the last time you breathed fire?". Freddie gives in and sits down next to Ayla.

"See Misses here is allowed to stay" Cook nods, making Ayla's eyes dart up to him once more. "Cos SHE shags us. Well...." he looks at Freddie. "One of us anyways".