i. sky full of stars

⌜   .·:·.     ☽   ✧     ✦    ✧   ☾     .·:·.   ⌝

(  𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒏𝒆 )

(  𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒏𝒆 )

𝐊𝐀𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐀.

⌞    .·:·.       ☽    ✧      ✦     ✧   ☾      .·:·.   ⌟

Karolina was the daughter of one of the most wealthy men in Chicago the 1920s. Whatever she wished for, she got. A slight problem was... the one thing she wanted money could never buy. Life.

The brunette was cursed. In a human way. She had a deadly disease that the doctors couldn't cure, they claimed that her days were counted and Karolina hadn't been able to go on the way she always had ever since then. Her relationship with her father went down the drain as he realized she was no longer his heiress and he had to marry another woman after her mother's recent death with the same disease.

She hadn't done many things in her life, not the things she wanted anyways. Mainly because Karolina didn't find someone to share her interests with. The dying girl had no close friends or siblings and none of her relatives was in the picture.

Soon she was convinced that it would be better to take her own life rather waiting for her impending doom. Karolina, in the same party thrown in her honour, stood on the roof of the Opera then someone walked up to her, rubbing the tears off their face with a slightly shaken up voice.

"What are you doing up there?" She questioned and Karolina shook her head, attempting to take another step forward, "No, wait! Whatever it is, we can work it out. Just give me your hand, let me help you down."

Karolina's chest shook with sobs as she responded, "No... I don't need your help. I am helping myself, that is the only way. "

"Taking your own life solves nothing," Rebekah stated, taking closer steps, "You seem like a sweet girl. Trust me, you do not want to die."

"I am already dead!" The brunette snapped out, wrapping her arms around herself as she shivered, her skin getting uncomfortably adjusted to the cold, "I have been dead ever since that day where I got that damn headache... Nothing will be okay ever again."

Rebekah shook her head, sucking in a deep breath as Karolina moved her feet forward, attempting to throw her body off of the building before Rebekah caught her hand, "Let go of me! Let me die! I have nothing to live for!"

The Mikaelson shook her head before effortlessly pulling the brunette up and putting her back on the roof. Karolina began hyperventilating as she realized the near-death experience she had just gone through before Rebekah pulled her into her arms.

"Why don't we get you a coat and something warm to drink so we can talk over the nothing to live for part...? Hmm?"

°   °   °

"Rebekah...you don't understand. No one will," Karolina put down her empty cup of tea as she tightened the coat around her fragile small frame, "I know that people die every day but it hurts to wake every morning, knowing that you may not make it through and you can do nothing to stop that. My father is acting as if I am already dead so I might as well—"

The blonde interjected, "I may never understand your situation... But I do know that if you have but mere days left, you need to make the best of them."

"How? All of the people that used to love me are distancing themselves from me so it would save them the pain of losing me," Karolina sniffled, swallowing a lump in her throat as she looked up at Rebekah, "It's suffocating me... Like they have already buried me alive. Every day I am just there, begging them to see me...To not abandon me, to just accept that my death will be a little earlier than usual but I feel fine. I am not always in pain, even though I will never live to have kids and real life. I was happy until the day my family decided I am already dead."

"Come with me," Rebekah offered the human her hand, a small pitiful smile tugging at her lips, "I will show you something."

Karolina raised an eyebrow, using the back of her hand to rub away her tears as she took Rebekah's hand. The blonde led the way back to the roof as the brunette sighed, remembering her actions an hour ago.

"Look up there, what do you see?"

"Stars... A lot of them, they are just so many, filling up the whole sky."

"How many good people died?" Rebekah asked her, "Forgive my methods, darling, but they tend to get the best results."

Karolina shook her head at the blonde's question, shrugging, "A lot of people, my mother included... Are you to say that when I die I will be up there with all those fancy sparkling stars?"

"Oh, bloody hell no," Rebekah chuckled, shaking her head, "I didn't mean it like that, though, you are beautiful even more than those stars. However, what I meant to say was the stars fill up the sky... They are too many but you can't touch any of them. They took thousands of years to be this beautiful up there and perfect, ready to finish their mission and burn brighter up there."

Rebekah paused, turning to Karolina who pondered upon her words, admiring the sky full of stars, "You are lucky, your mission finished up pretty soon... Maybe you will burn brighter up there when your real time is up."

"But I have done nothing," She replied, looking down at her feet, "I never had a drink, stepped out of line, ran away or even thought of it or recklessly kissed someone... Twenty years full of nothing."

"I can help change that."

°   °   °