FREEFALL

-sanascribbles

-sanascribbles

endless shadows and aching flesh
in the darkness, a nameless monster stalks
her mind a loaded gun
but so is her heart forgotten
beware the incessant falls
that follow freedoms siren calls

OBSIDIAN ENVELOPS THE CITY as night's hands muffle the dying light of the day in their palms. Crooked fingers streak the pink and orange hues that chase the giant star falling below the horizon with bruised indigo and ice tipped navy patches. Orbs of burning stardust litter the heavy tar covered sky with pinpricks of useless light. Midnight gathers an army of darkened storm clouds against the city, devoid of anything but gray by the suffocation of all things light. Precipitation begins falling from the never ending dark pit as the heavens open wide. Lightning crackles over head, tearing across the sky for mere moments. Terrifying as the raging winds knock against windows and doors. Ears deafen as booming claps of thunder surrounds the small city, even those at peace with rain feel the horrifying edge of something coming.

TENSE UNDER BED SHEETS, a man lays back upon his squeaky hotel mattress. He's been running, running, running yet he knows they are still on his trail. Frail, chalk like skin hangs off his bones and his muscles ache from eternal anxiety pumping soundly through his veins. Slashes of lightning cut across the sky again, he forces his eyes closed preferring the pitch black. Sickly green and ugly violet bags hang beneath his fear filled eyes. The flash of light expresses new shadows and shapes to a painfully detailed point. He can not stop imagining his own death, what it will be like and who will be the one to kill him. He trained one of their most dangerous assets, and he knows there is more than one in their clutches.

CRACK! LIGHT RIPS THROUGH THE AGONIZING DARKNESS, another round of thunder slicing through burning silence and steady rainfall. His eyes still forced shut, begging sleep to overtake him. He can not see the new shadow climbing up the hotel wall. A thin figure soaked by the storm lands silently on the balcony of the hotel. He can not hide any longer. A blade spins into the young figure's hand, the lock is left useless in seconds. Sable clothed in bullet proof gear, the asset forces open the glass door and slips past the curtain as though they had simply walked through them. Eyes opening in utter confusion as he hears the rainfall echo loudly in his room, drops landing with nerving splashes on to the carpet floor as the wet asset waits for him to 'wake'.

ONLY HE HAS BEEN IN THE SECRET OPERATIONS BUSINESS for too long now not to take careful detail to the room before closing his eyes again. Except he doesn't, because the door to the balcony is open now. Slipping a hand beneath the fluffy pillow under his head he grabs onto his hand knife there. That is when they jump at him, two knives in hand now as they leap upon the bed. He tumbles off just in time to avoid the blade embedded hilt deep in the mattress where he was laying only moments before. He swallows hard, recognizing the asset they sent for him. The Freefall Rogue. She doesn't exist to the world, kept off of every radar and she is the youngest asset they have ever had in their possession. He almost laughs even with the covered face of bloody death standing before him. 'I trained her, did they think I can't beat my own student?' Reckless arrogance was the last emotion he had before fear met him head on.