Chapter 17

Cassidy, Finn and Evie ran down streets clogged with cars for what must have been miles until they were sure they had gotten far enough from the ruins.

Breathing heavily, Evie gasped, "Where should we sleep? Finn already looks dead."

She glanced over at the small boy whom laid slumped over Cassidy's shoulder, red-eyed and yawning. They were worried about the others, but Evie feared that they may not have made it. How would the three of them be able to fight and defeat Callahan Agencies without their whole group. Lielle was their advantage over the Agents, but now she was missing and possibly dead along with the others. Hot tears wet her cheeks and she turned away to hide them.

Cassidy set Finn down and held her close. "They're strong. I'm sure they're all fine. Plus, I doubt they would kill Lielle anyway."

She sniffled and wiped her face on her sleeve, nodding.

They continued until they found a wide grassy area. They walked until they were sure they could not be spotted in any direction. Cassidy offered to take first watch, so Evie laid down next to Finn, listening to his calm and even breathing. He looked so peaceful in his sleeping state. His hair that normally stopped near the bottom of his neck was now spread across his face, his mouth was slightly open and his breaths, slow and heavy.

Air from his mouth hit her nose repeatedly until she drifted off, matching her breathing to the child's.

She dreamed that all nine of them were together in a nice open field without a worry in the world. How nice that would be, nothing to worry about except their grades, all of them living close to each other and playing and talking as best friends tend to do.

* * * * *

Cassidy shook her awake at two AM to take her turn on lookout. A fire now burned in front of her face, leaving red light in her eyes whenever she blinked. Rubbing the sleep from them, she sat up lazily and scooted over to the fire, Cassidy handing her a gun on the way.

The gun dug into her leg while she sat, still waking up by the fire. The fire made her want to curl up into a ball and sleep until the day where she would have no more problems.

Nothing happened for a while, so Evie sat cross legged on the short, neat grass. She stared unfocused at the fire, but her ears were alert. Every gust of wind caused her to look around, nothing was ever there.

A few hours later she heard heavy steps somewhere to her right. She picked up her gun and aimed in the direction of the noise. A wolf emerged from the dark and snarled at her. After a moment of staring with its odd gold eyes, it walked away and left Evie with nothing to do once more.

* * * * *

The sun peeked over the horizon and the fire had long since burned out, but the air supplied her with warmth. Finn stirred next to her and walked over to her.

"Where's Callie?" he moaned.

Evie handed him a breakfast bar and pulled him into her lap. "She's with Connor and the others. We're going to find them today, so don't worry. I'm here for you until then."

He shakily smiled a little and took a bite off the corner of his breakfast bar. They talked until Cassidy finally arose almost an hour later.

Evie handed her a bar as she asked, "Where to?"

"Well, first we should find out where we are." She clicked on her watch and went to the GPS. A blinking red dot showed their location only about a mile away from the Charles River, and across it, Harvard. Evie set course for the school where she had once spoken. The headmaster there knew her and would help them.