Chapter 18

The thrill and fear of jumping on and off trains did not take a short time to wear off. After many hours of calculating the best train route to take, ones where they would not be caught, they finally entered New York. Skyscrapers flew past them and wind whipped her face, keeping her wide awake and jumpy. She would not be able to recognize when they entered Tuckahoe if not for the drastic change in scenery from skyscrapers made of glass, to fancy houses of two or three floors.

Walking through the town, people smiled at them and waved and spoke cheerily. These innocent people were clueless to the dangers of their world, but luckily, none of them seemed to mind that the president's son was walking through their city. Parks overflowed with crying babies and laughing children, the river pushed trash toward the ocean. The climate was disgusting yet peaceful, and they strolled uninterrupted to the small cafe on Prescott Avenue.

Sweet aromas of coffee and cakes floated through the building as they were seated at a table near the window. The waitress did not mind their filth when she took their orders and it made Evie think of heaven.

What place could be this nice other than there? Or maybe she was only dreaming, and would soon wake up to the harsh reality of the world, for no place could be this beautiful and quiet, calm and welcoming.

The waitress came back with tea cakes and coffee for the older kids, juice for the children. They all drank and ate in silence, for who knew when they might get a meal this nice again, if they might merit it. The coffee woke them up and calmed their nerves. All the pressure that had been building up inside was slowly released as she breathed in paradise. Not a worry in the world broke her focus because none existed here. When someone came here, they came here to stay.

Bagels and a variety of spreads arrived at the table and they all dug in, wide awake from sugar and caffeine. She caught Lielle smiling for the first time since they had met. It was a genuine smile that truly lit up her green eyes which seemed lighter and more relaxed. Just the thought of Lielle letting go of stress was enough to make herself happier.

After stuffing themselves to the brink with bread and fresh fruit, the group of them happily welcomed the waiter back for his payment. Lielle took out her wallet while Callie yawned and brushed her hair back. The waiter's eyes caught on her tattoo and he showed Lielle where to sign and excused herself. She watched as the man spoke to the people behind the counter in hushed tones.

It was hard to believe that they could be discussing anything bad in this beautiful town, but three waiters walked over to them followed by a barista and a chef. Lielle handed them the money and receipt confused and stood up, grabbing Callie's arm and dragging her up with her.

She was back to her normal scowl when she growled, "Can we help you?"

The front most waiter grabbed her arm and twisted, attempting to punch her nose, but thwarted by Lielle's quick reflexes. Within the instant, Lielle, Layla, Connor and Cassidy were having a full on wrestling match in the small restaurant. Everyone stood up to watch the unusual, out of place fight. Evie shielded the twins as Lielle flew into the large window, shattering it upon impact.

Glass rained down on them as Evie turned the three of them intangible upon contact. People stared at the unscathed children and the shattered window, but when a boulder shot in through the once glass wall, that shattered them. Lielle stood, hands raised, fire cupped in each one. Scared families ran, others who must have been with the Callahan Agencies took it as a sign to join in the fight. The ones who decided to go for Lielle soon regretted it as they collapsed, burned and bruised. She made her way back into the building where a lion attacked a tiger. The tiger flew behind the bar with a well-placed head bump from the lion. Connor shifted back to his normal form and attempted to push people off balance with the flick of his fingers. Layla flew over their heads and kicked them with her sneakers while Cassidy tried to get a good look into their eyes and control them. In a matter of seconds, the rest of them had joined, doing anything they could to help.

A hand wrapped around her shoulder and pulled her out of the building to where Lielle still stood, punching and kicking and using any ability she was able to. The others ran over while Runners kicked anyone they could at top speed and Goners gave people wedgies and kicks in horrible spots.

The group of them dashed through the streets, pursued by the uninjured and anyone not busy attacking their own, but soon they would realize and the Thrillers would not make it out. Connor stopped to look back and Lielle gasped, "Go."

They rounded a corner, dodging pedestrians and shooting fire and earth back at them. Gusts of wind propelled them down streets and tossed them over buildings. A maintenance door appeared on the side of a hill and they ran in, jamming it shut behind them.

Eerie yellow lights led the way down a corridor which opened into a room with mops, brooms and other cleaning equipment and street signs. The twins went to their big brother and hugged him while Lielle immediately collapsed against a wall. Her face was scratched and Evie watched as she yanked a piece of glass out of her arm.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

"I'm fine," the teen grumbled. "The peacefulness here was too good to be true anyway."

Evie completely agreed. She had felt so relaxed and then out of nowhere the fight materialized. Unsure what to say, she pointed to her arm. "Is that okay?"

"My back will have bigger problems."

She stood up and walked over to her sister whom was standing by the door with Cassidy. When she saw her coming, Cassidy walked to the other side of the entrance and gave them a bit of space.

"You did good, Eve."

"Did you train with the Thrillers before, because you fought well."

She laughed and explained, "My mother taught Alastair and me when we were little, told us it was in case we were ever attacked by the paparazzi."

Evie let loose a tear at the use of 'my mother' rather than 'our mother.' "So I really am the child of this Oliver Glasser person."

Layla held her firmly in her arms and allowed her to cry as she reassured her that her father was the best uncle she had. The room got quiet as everyone went to rest and Layla shoved her into the spot next to her. Her eyes closed almost immediately and soon enough she was carried into a dreamless sleep.